Chunking a spar without gaffs

moss

Been here a while
Working on a multi-leader white ash removal, I have some remaining higher anchors so if I can get some chunking done efficiently on a leaner without gaffs on I will. I stand on the tail of my lanyard to get foot support. If I need two foot supported I'll add in a long sling girthed foot loop.

-AJ

Last edited:

Bendroctanus

Participating member
Working on a multi-leader white ash removal, I have some remaining higher anchors so if I can get some chunking done efficiently on a leaner without gaffs on I will. I stand on the tail of my lanyard to get foot support. If I need two foot supported I'll add in a long sling girthed foot loop.

-AJ
“So, how many tie-ins do you have?”
“Yes.”
“Yes?”
“Yes.”

You looked very comfortable taking that wood. I like the set up. I’ve done spurless removals before, where I’ll usually wrap my flip line around the spar and sort of strattle the trunk. Your method looks a bit more ergonomic. AND cool! Thanks for sharing!

moss

Been here a while
“So, how many tie-ins do you have?”
“Yes.”
“Yes?”
“Yes.”

You looked very comfortable taking that wood. I like the set up. I’ve done spurless removals before, where I’ll usually wrap my flip line around the spar and sort of strattle the trunk. Your method looks a bit more ergonomic. AND cool! Thanks for sharing!

Ha, that’s a great answer to anything with multiple choices, “Yes”.

Yeah the tie-ins I’d already been running two lines to work across multiple crown/leaders so... why not use them? ;-)
-AJ

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
When there's no separate high TIP, I find it's a PITA. I have found choking several short lengths of rope on the spar on the way up makes it easier. That let's me move down and transfer to another piece of rope that's already rigged, then retrieve the rope I was on. That seems to work better for me than just using two ropes.

It's a good safety measure to make sure the climb rope is attached to the spar when cutting in case a quick descent is needed.

Bendroctanus

Participating member
Ha, that’s a great answer to anything with multiple choices, “Yes”.

Yeah the tie-ins I’d already been running two lines to work across multiple crown/leaders so... why not use them? ;-)
-AJ
Precisely. Work smarter, and harder. And more comfy. That’s the biggest thing.

I like your setup. Watching the video, it made me want to go monkey around. If it weren’t for the 105 heat index, I’d probably do it too.

DSMc

Been here a while
'
@moss, you have some really great ideas but I don't see this as one of those. It is without question that the job shown would have been safer, faster and much easier if spurs had been used.

Now it is admirable to have the skills to get a job done, even if the proper tools are not at hand. It would have been even more admirable to have planned for all that would be needed on that day.

moss

Been here a while
'
@moss, you have some really great ideas but I don't see this as one of those. It is without question that the job shown would have been safer, faster and much easier if spurs had been used.

Now it is admirable to have the skills to get a job done, even if the proper tools are not at hand. It would have been even more admirable to have planned for all that would be needed on that day.
Ha, you had to be there. I had everything I needed.
-AJ

moss

Been here a while
Cool the see, but spurs would be a whole lot faster and efficient, while also allowing you to get into much better and more stable work positions... Why not use them?
I use spurs frequently, in this case I just wrapped up a bunch of high work and was opportunistic getting that particular spar done, I have 2 large leaders remaining with everything off, it will be all spurs.
-AJ

dspacio

Participating member
thanks for showing that @moss . wish I saw this a few days ago! I don't own spurs yet; the main crew I work for lets me borrow theirs, but working with a diff team this week I had to do a full takedown without spurs. I use an ultra sling with a footloop I spliced up, for standing on the spar in that case. It went fine but man I was wishing for spikes!! this is a good idea to have in mind as well.

moss

Been here a while
thanks for showing that @moss . wish I saw this a few days ago! I don't own spurs yet; the main crew I work for lets me borrow theirs, but working with a diff team this week I had to do a full takedown without spurs. I use an ultra sling with a footloop I spliced up, for standing on the spar in that case. It went fine but man I was wishing for spikes!! this is a good idea to have in mind as well.

Glad that was useful!

I probably wasn't clear enough in saying this is great on angled spars like the one I was on. Some of you may have no problem but I struggle to get the positions I want when I'm spiking on a leaner. Less fight better control, and less fatigue. Hybridizing these strategies with spikes on has helped get stronger positioning on leaners as well.
-AJ

Treezybreez

Carpal tunnel level member
I usually only do a spurless dismantle when it's on my way down from a larger tree I'm pruning. With Caddy pads and good quality boots, why punish yourself.

moss

Been here a while
I usually only do a spurless dismantle when it's on my way down from a larger tree I'm pruning. With Caddy pads and good quality boots, why punish yourself.
That was the scenario, still had two tall remaining leaders which were done with spikes, in this case why not take advantage of excellent rope support to keep things comfortable.
-AJ

Treezybreez

Carpal tunnel level member
That was the scenario, still had two tall remaining leaders which were done with spikes, in this case why not take advantage of excellent rope support to keep things comfortable.
-AJ
No dispute there Andrew. Standing on spikes all day can get uncomfortable.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom