Chipper Falling Apart

NashvilleTN

I just paid a lot of money to have my bandit 250xp engine rebuilt in June then had to put it back in the shop shortly after to get the injection pump rebuilt. I feel like I have barely got to use it till these past two months. Even when I first got it back with the engine rebuild I couldn’t help but notice it seems to be shaking a whole lot more than what I am used to. When I had the injection pump rebuilt it may have had a placebo affect to where I thought it helped but it is seeming like that is not the case.
-Both the toolbox and battery box handles have broken off
-The battery box has actually shaken to pieces
-~12”x2’ piece of sheet metal that was welded on has fallen off somewhere beneath where the fan goes
-Part of the hinge for the chipper hood has broken
-The door to the tachometer/key keeps falling off
-The latches for the engine compartment are breaking off

*We have only lost like 1 or 2 bolts though so I don’t think it has to do with it being put back together tight enough
*Idle should be perfect with the injector pump just rebuilt

Guy who rebuilt it is insisting “those things just shake” but this is getting crazy to me.
Any thoughts on what this might be? I can post pics later too

Gorman

Check the disc and knives. He might have “tested it out” and ran some stupid shit through it.

NashvilleTN

Check the disc and knives. He might have “tested it out” and ran some stupid shit through it.
It is rattling from the engine though, the disc is consistent with what it used to sound like. I have heard people had a bunch of stuff break off of dingos because the idle was set too low from the factory.

Gorman

Not sure if these engine have a harmonic balancer. Have another mechanic look at it sooner than later, you might have a lot riding on it.

NashvilleTN

Perkins/Cat 3054c. I know people say these engines are junk but I had zero problems with it the first two years I owned it, I might only need it for another couple of years

LiTreeService

Ya I have that engine in my chipper. Garbage. Had the same issue has engine rebuilt then injection pump and yea it works. But chipper deff not the same as when I bought it.

Jehinten

Have you checked the engine mounts? A worn out isolator will cause more engine vibration to get to the rest of the machine.

NashvilleTN

Have you checked the engine mounts? A worn out isolator will cause more engine vibration to get to the rest of the machine.

Yeah all of the mounts seem to be tight. It originally needed to be rebuilt because someone had put the wrong bolt to hold in the pulley on the crankshaft. That pulley fell off and tore up the crankshaft. It looks like the shaking was happening because he put the same pulley back on there and the splines where it goes on the crankshaft were tore up some so there was play in it and now it is about to fall off again

Trevor Balgavy

Just the engine shakes when the clutch is disengaged or is it worse then the disk is turning? It's amazing how many machines come in here with the disk or drum way out of balance.

Trevor Balgavy

Those engine are internally balanced and if that balancer goes it is catastrophic. You might have something going on there or an injector out causing a miss. I would definitely get it to someone for a second opinion.

Sfoppema

I bought a used chipper recently and it was shaking. It was in disrepair when I got it so we were doing lots of repairs to it right out of the gate. Noticed some heat was building up in the passenger side bearing of the drum. It was discoloring the paint. Apparently it hadn't been getting greased properly. Changed that and no more shaking. If it shakes with the clutch disengaged then probably not it...

I've had motors changed on things before and the guys doing the work just end up fucking other things up. Can take awhile to chase them all down and get things right. Meanwhile other stuff is breaking as a result. I sincerely wish you good luck as I've been down that road....