Chip Truck size

pacifichedge

so been in business for over 10 years mostly cutting trees down as a contract climber and no clean up, and the hundreds of hedges we trim every year. I have saved enough money to spend on chip truck and chipper. I want to keep it simple and see how it goes. I was thinking about a F450 is that to small of a truck or should I look for a F550 diesel? I also saw a few chev 3500, I want to keep it simple but I don't want to break a truck either from all the chips. I need some more info on buying and what to look for? Starter chip truck. Please and Thank you.

southsoundtree

Really depends on your access. No point in a truck too big to get close to the work.
No point in getting a small truck if you haul large amounts of material.

Will you want to haul logs? Even without machine, some fabrication and winch can load logs.

You have to match your total hauling/ towing weight with your truck. A big chipper can't be towed behind a small truck that is hauling.

pacifichedge

no logs. leave that on site. or i'll call my wood guy to take it. just small city truck 10 foot box is what I want. keep it simple.

Fivepoints

Yeah nprs would be similar the a 45p weigh capacity wise. Might do well for city maneuvering. We have a fuso with a 16 ft bed that will turn around in tighter spaces than our f550 with a 12 ft bed. We use our f550 as a chip truck. I wouldn't want a smaller truck with a 12" chipper behind it. We mostly dump at our lot so we come home full and towing the chipper back.

owScott

I run a f450 7.3l diesel with a 12 yard box. Does fine. When I buy a new truck, someday it will be a f550. I think a 3500 or f350 isn't enough truck. I would say definitely diesel. If considering a Ford avoid the 6,0 diesel you will see them cheap stay away. I like a smaller truck and 4x4 for getting into tighter spaces.

Serf Life

I run a f450 7.3l diesel with a 12 yard box. Does fine. When I buy a new truck, someday it will be a f550. I think a 3500 or f350 isn't enough truck. I would say definitely diesel. If considering a Ford avoid the 6,0 diesel you will see them cheap stay away. I like a smaller truck and 4x4 for getting into tighter spaces.
Same but with a shorter box for tight turns and winding skinny driveways. Tows chipper well fully loaded, hauls wood fine too, 4x4 is needed where we are but maybe not for you. F450 is ample if it is just a chip truck, add a mini platform and it may be asking too much. What size chipper are you pulling?

owScott

Same but with a shorter box for tight turns and winding skinny driveways. Tows chipper well fully loaded, hauls wood fine too, 4x4 is needed where we are but maybe not for you. F450 is ample if it is just a chip truck, add a mini platform and it may be asking too much. What size chipper are you pulling?
Brush bandit 200xp 5800lbs. I have pulled my 14000lb wood trailer loaded with my f450 loaded with chips and still no problem. Its a manual 6 speed so that helps. All my trucks are 4x4, you can get stuck in a flat area trying to dump and it snows here.

Reach

i was looking into this last year, f350 vs f550 . So glad i went with the f550. 7.3l manual 4x4 with a 12' box. only thing i wish i had was tool boxes!
Tool boxes can be added, you might be amazed how many will fit under the bed if sized correctly.

Fivepoints

I'll try to take some good pictures of our f550 at some point. We have managed to stuff a bunch of storage into that truck. I'm extremely happy with how that turned out.

I'm so glad I bought an f550. Anything smaller would have been a mistake. The only thing I would change on ours is to have 4x4. I've even thought about converting it as I don't want to start over with the bed and tool boxes. Ours is a 7.3 6 speed truck with only 100k on it.

Serf Life

I'll try to take some good pictures of our f550 at some point. We have managed to stuff a bunch of storage into that truck. I'm extremely happy with how that turned out.

I'm so glad I bought an f550. Anything smaller would have been a mistake. The only thing I would change on ours is to have 4x4. I've even thought about converting it as I don't want to start over with the bed and tool boxes. Ours is a 7.3 6 speed truck with only 100k on it.
Please do, pics are the best with threads like this.

owScott

To all you 7.3L powerstroke owners, switch out the stock airbox for a good after market one. They are notorious for leaking and letting dust into the turbo and motor, not good. Small investment in the life of your motor.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom