Chip Truck Build Help Please

stheis004

We're looking to get a new chip truck to better compliment our two man, tree-mek crew. While our current chip truck has a removable top (southco I believe), we hardly use it as it takes quite a bit of time, effort and space to remove and then remount. We want to be able to load wood quickly and easily so I think it's as simple as tall sides and a top that goes on/off easily (or at least opens 3/4 of the way) for loading from above. I think this could be as simple as a tarp or fold-able hinged panels for a roof. We've called around a few places and salesmen just don't seems to understand or grasp what we need and send us a quote for a dump truck. Does anyone have advise on where to possibly go...also am I missing something here as far as why this wouldn't work good or why I don't really see anyone else doing this?

Also, I just came across Schodorf Truck Body & Equipment and will be reaching out to them soon, has anyone dealt with them? Looks like they may have what I'm looking for. Thanks for any input!

Merle Nelson

I'm little help on most of you specific questions. On smaller boxes I use, up to 15 yards, I do well with trampoline material sewn up as a tarp. I roll it up on (1.5?) inch pvc when driving though.

27RMT0N

Out here a lot of the excavation/forestry guys just use a regular dump truck and tip the bed up for chipping, then hauling logs away in the same truck. More 'over-spray' potential but can be easily avoided if the guys are paying attention to how the truck is filling.

0 build site chipping.jpg

Jehinten

Seems like a modified roll tarp system like on a grain truck would work well. Replace the lightweight grain tarp with a material that can handle woodchips being blown into it. When your ready to load logs it rolls to the side from the ground in just a few seconds.

There would be a few braces to hold the tarp up that you'd have to work around while loading logs.

If thats a deal breaker I think I'd choose the folding hard roof. It shouldn't be too hard to design a roof to do that, where it folds in 4 or so foot increments and stays stacked on the front 4 feet of the bed while loading logs.

How long of a chip box are you looking for?

stheis004

Thanks for input guys, working in tight residential spots, we definitely need a top to contain the chips. I think anything going across will get in the way too much when loading wood but yeah I think a roof that folds to the front will be the ticket. I'm just a bit hesitant there's something I'm missing only because I haven't seen anyone else who's done this.

Reach

Are the aluminum sections light enough to move by hand with two guys?
Yes. One guy can handle them, but they’re a little awkward, being 8’ wide. They’re on a 12’ bed, so for a 16’ bed you probably want 4 sections, as these weigh probably about 60 pounds each. I’ll try to get pictures up shortly for you.

Reach

Two pictures of the roof described above: We converted a landscape body into a chip truck, so it still has the high back doors that have to be opened to chip into. A bit of a nuisance, but not terrible. The roof was built by a local shop about 6-8 years ago, and still works great. It just has a few dents from careless employees. If we were doing it again, I would have built it with a ladder rack on top, although it is nice to be able to stack the pieces so neatly the way it is now.

Attachments

• EBBDBFE1-CEEE-439D-9D0B-ECDB6866FB85.jpeg
    EBBDBFE1-CEEE-439D-9D0B-ECDB6866FB85.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
  • AE7AB4A0-B8EA-4C1D-B621-8A1A6A6C9D2D.jpeg
    AE7AB4A0-B8EA-4C1D-B621-8A1A6A6C9D2D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 49

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom