Cheap Chainsaw Hacks (Save time and money)

Here's a couple chainsaw hacks to save time and money using you r saw

1st vid: I rushed this video before dark set in and I installed the tool on the wrong side of the bar so install on the other side.

2nd vid: Big money saver, also info on how to stop the oil from gelling up in sub-zero temps

Last edited:

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cut firewood to 18" lengths for my stove (it can actually accommodate ~22")
I have a couple 1/4" diameter, fiberglass driveway stakes (42" & 60" long).
They have magic marker indicators every 18".
I carry a piece of chalk in my pocket, which marks a whole log in just a few seconds.

I also mark the saws & bars w/ 18".

Reactions: ATH

ATH

I've been 100% canola (just buy at grocery store) for +/- 5 years. Maybe a little more gunk build up under the clutch cover, bit otherwise, no noticable difference...100-0 degrees F.

Jehinten

I've been 100% canola (just buy at grocery store) for +/- 5 years. Maybe a little more gunk build up under the clutch cover, bit otherwise, no noticable difference...100-0 degrees F.
Same here, except maybe 4 years in on canola (hard to remember exactly when I switched over) the only bar I've ruined in that time got hung up in a kerf on a large log that was being freehand milled. Bent the sprocket on the tip of the bar to a 90° angle, hard to blame that on canola.

Serf Life

Canola oil doesn't gel...I've used it in single digits with no problems, but not sure I've used it below 0 degrees F.
We had two saw tanks totally gelled this winter. Had to put infront of the mini exhaust for a while. I was guessing some water was there and that did it?? Hasn’t happened since and another saw with canola which hadn’t been used the previous day was ungelled.

ATH

We had two saw tanks totally gelled this winter. Had to put infront of the mini exhaust for a while. I was guessing some water was there and that did it?? Hasn’t happened since and another saw with canola which hadn’t been used the previous day was ungelled.
How cold was it?
Was that saw always canola, or did it recently have regular bar and chain oil in it?

eyehearttrees

still pretty sure straight canola would work
Oh it works great, so great I am not even going to try finding a better alternative since it literally doesn't have 1 single "demerit" I can come up with!

I only found a small handful of cold-weather-complaints when doing my research on canola-as-B&C oil research a few weeks ago.....I cannot speak highly enough, honestly I would pay MORE for the cleanliness of being covered in canola, instead of petrol oil (nevermind how much is breathed-in as vapor when cutting aloft!), even mentioned it on my "business blog" and multiple clients like it (I highlit that my saws, unlike most saws, are not spraying petrol-oil when I'm on-site ;D )
Found very few complaints, found tons of great anecdotes, so went for it - cheapest walmart canola oil - am now on my 3rd ~$2 bottle, cannot say I've noticed anything (positive or negative) but probably shouldn't expect to in such situations!
Surprised this isn't the norm, at least for climbsaws because bar-length (ie tackiness of the b&c oils) is low, in Austria it's legally mandated actually, but I'm 100.0% genuinely uncertain why it's not "the norm" for climbersaws....truly cannot figure it out, it's cheaper, it's cleaner for the operator and, let's be real, it negates the whole "Because I'm a sawyer, I dump gallons of b&c oil into the enviro every month" hell I'm in FL by the water, here it is especially bad for the enviro...can't believe it took me so long to get on-board w/ canola!!

(BTW my understanding is "cold-pressed Rapeseed" oil is the best, but I've been using generic walmart canola for many weeks now on my 25cc 10" main saw and also my 36cc 18" 355T trunk-saw, the oil flows well I never really watched it before the swap but now that I'm watching I see it's always 100.0% slick :D )

ATH

Someone here mentioned before that the clear Canola is supposed to be better than what you and I are probably using from the "normal" baking aisle. I couldn't find anything telling what the difference is. Gordon Food Service has that in a big jug. I'll get it at some point and give it a try:

I do agree...I don't know why it isn't the norm. Probably because the saw manufacturers have a vested interest in keeping their branded bar and chain oil the norm. But no reason they can't rebrand canola and sell that.

Last edited:

MooneyPilot

I guess I’m too old. For about 50 years, when cutting firewood, I’ve measured the log I am about to cut with a point on the chain saw. I simply measured to find where the length I want is on the saw relative to an identifiable point on the saw and make a mental picture. I hold the saw next to the log and use my mental picture of that point on the saw for the measurement and cut at that point. works great!

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I’m too old. For about 50 years, when cutting firewood, I’ve measured the log I am about to cut with a point on the chain saw. I simply measured to find where the length I want is on the saw relative to an identifiable point on the saw and make a mental picture. I hold the saw next to the log and use my mental picture of that point on the saw for the measurement and cut at that point. works great!
Yep. For just a few cuts, I use a magic marker lines. These are measure from both ends of the saw; bar tip & handle end.

Yep. For just a few cuts, I use a magic marker lines. These are measure from both ends of the saw; bar tip & handle end.
Paint tends to get stripped off my bar when it comes to using a marker. I get city wood so there tends to be metal in the trees.I can tell when there's metal in the trees unless I see no signs of it, but I hardly ever cut metal luckily. My supply is free so it wouldn't cost me anyway

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom