Champion Tree Registries

Jzack605

Is this something any of you keep an eye out for? Had a soil care visit today and the client had the biggest Doug Fir I have ever seen in NY. Was considering getting a measurement.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I nominated a tree which turned out to be a state champion, and climbed another to drop a tape in order to get an accurate analogue measurement which moved that tree from co-champion to champion.

State champion tree registries can generally be searched and accessed from a smart phone, so if you see a big specimen, take a minute while you're there to look up the current champion. You may find yourself in front of a diamond in the rough.

Reach

We are planning to nominate a Black Gum here in PA next week; it’s likely top 5 in PA. Unfortunately we have to remove its bigger brother at the same property, I plan to measure it before we start cutting, just to see how it would have ranked.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
We are planning to nominate a Black Gum here in PA next week; it’s likely top 5 in PA. Unfortunately we have to remove its bigger brother at the same property, I plan to measure it before we start cutting, just to see how it would have ranked.
What about letting the owner know that they have bragging rights? Unless the tree is a train wreck waiting to visit destruction on a high value target, the owner may want to reconsider killing a biggun' .

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Is this something any of you keep an eye out for? Had a soil care visit today and the client had the biggest Doug Fir I have ever seen in NY. Was considering getting a measurement.
Always. I'm not sure how species that don't have a current champion work... we pruned an Ailanthus that dwarfed every one I have ever seen, but there was little to compare it to. I saw a reference to the biggest one in North America, but that didn't help me much. Big is big, even for introduced species, right?
The discussion about that tree led to an afternoon of checking out the three state champs that we could find in Fayetteville.

Reach

What about letting the owner know that they have bragging rights? Unless the tree is a train wreck waiting to visit destruction on a high value target, the owner may want to reconsider killing a biggun' .
We did let them know, unfortunately the tree is a train wreck. It’s probably a little over 100 feet tall, 3 feet in diameter, and there is a hole all the way through the trunk 2 feet in diameter, 60’ above the ground, you can see light through from the ground. We did not want to remove this tree, but it is so unstable, the top half is likely to fall out any time, and will land on the house when it does.

oldoakman

I always watch as well. We have the 3rd largest Willow Oak in GA on municipal property here and the largest living example of a Florida Torreya in existence on a private property

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom