Challenges with pulling rope with a tight sewn eye through small ring on multiSLING.

Zebco Kid

Hello All,

I employ two methods for protecting limbs from my rope. The first is the Dan House rope sleeves. The second is the multiSLING.

I am having problems with the multiSLING. On one end is a small sewn in aluminum ring. On the other end I have a DMM revolver carabiner.

Treating the multiSLING like a cambiam saver, I first put my throw line in the tree, attach the rope, and pull the rope up through the small ring first, then the carabiner. Unfortunately, I frequently have a heck of a time getting the rope to pass through the small ring. Frequently, it won't pass at all.

With my throw line, I am tying half hitches up the end, finishing with a clove hitch. I was wondering if there's a trick to making this effective. What is happening now is that I have to abandon my multiSLING, and spend my climbing time getting it out of the tree. As a recreational climber, it's not the worst outcome, but I'd like to stick to my original climb plan if possible.

Thank you for your thoughts.

ZK

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Hello All,

I employ two methods for protecting limbs from my rope. The first is the Dan House rope sleeves. The second is the multiSLING.

I am having problems with the multiSLING. On one end is a small sewn in aluminum ring. On the other end I have a DMM revolver carabiner.

Treating the multiSLING like a cambiam saver, I first put my throw line in the tree, attach the rope, and pull the rope up through the small ring first, then the carabiner. Unfortunately, I frequently have a heck of a time getting the rope to pass through the small ring. Frequently, it won't pass at all.

With my throw line, I am tying half hitches up the end, finishing with a clove hitch. I was wondering if there's a trick to making this effective. What is happening now is that I have to abandon my multiSLING, and spend my climbing time getting it out of the tree. As a recreational climber, it's not the worst outcome, but I'd like to stick to my original climb plan if possible.

Thank you for your thoughts.

ZK
Are you putting the throwline through the sewn eye and then terminating with a clove hitch or are you half hitching the exterior of the sewn eye?

I have found that using the first method tends to pull an eye a little easier through tight spaces.

Zebco Kid

Hello Stumpsprouts,

Working my way toward the end of the rope, I have been using a pile hitch, followed by 2 or three half hitches, followed by a clove hitch, which is passing through the small ring.

ZK

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Hello Stumpsprouts,

Working my way toward the end of the rope, I have been using a pile hitch, followed by 2 or three half hitches, followed by a clove hitch, which is passing through the small ring.

ZK
Does your throwline pass through the spliced eye of your climb line as the very first thing you do before your knots? That is what I’m recommending. I have had good luck with this technique. I don’t know how else to explain this without including a photo, which I don’t have, apologies.

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
When I pull an eye through a ring and ring I clove hitch the throwline to the center (end of) of the eye. I've not had any trouble setting a line this way.

With just a little planning you should be able to retrieve that multisling with your throwline, if you cannot get the rope in it.

Tuebor

Carpal tunnel level member
While the multiSLING is on the ground, thread your rope through the ring and pull half of it through (or enough that would equal the height of your climb). After you have the throw line over the desired limb, lower the weight and pass it through the Revolver. Clip a biner to the throw weight to keep it from passing back through the Revolver. Use the throw line to pull the multiSLING up into place on the limb, keeping both ends of the climbing line on the ground. Lower the weight again, remove the weight/biner and tie the throw line to the end of your rope. Now pull that end up through the Revolver and back down to you.

Doesn't always work....You have to have a tight crotch or sticky limb to keep the multiSLING from falling back out due to the rope weight as you lower the throw weight. Steel biner and/or a couple of heavy throw bags helps.

Zebco Kid

TCtreeswinger,

As I climb with a zig zag and/or hitch climber pulley, I prefer (manufacture recommendation) to climb with a spliced eye on the terminated end, so the knot doesn’t negatively impact the hitch.
When using the other end, knots are required. I do it, but it’s not as “elegant “ and I keep a close eye on the relationship between the hitch and the knot.

I might be a bit conservative, but I’ve broken my back before in a flying accident and don’t want anything to do with that again.

TCtreeswinger

Participating member
Reverse your order of operations. Pull unspliced through large side first then reinstall zig zag and you can climb and retrieve normally. This way the eye never needs to go through the small ring

Zebco Kid

Hmm. Will have to break out pen and paper and my miniature rope samples to get a visual on this. Sounds promising. Thank you.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom