Chain oil additives

hannasm

I was reading that recent post about using canola oil instead of petroleum based bar oil and it got me wondering what else I could pour in the oiler reservoir.

It sounds like there is a real hazard posed by the oil aerosalizing and then breathing in tiny particles of whatever chemicals you have mixed in there so health safety is one main consideration.

Obviously wrecking my saw is also a major concern.

One thought I had was including essential oils like neem oil, tea tree, eucalyptus or clove leaf oil (I'm Sure there are other possibilities here) that would help kill decay causing fungi and bacteria.

The canola oil is pretty thin so I'm also thinking about a thickening agent that would be appropriate.

Right now I'm doing about 75% canola 25% petroleum based oil and it seems to be ok but I have only had it in there for a day or two.

What mixes are you guys using?
Any idea whether those essential oils might be useful?

Jonny

I’ve heard of people using vegetable oil, I guess it smells like French fries when cutting. :)
My old neighbor liked using old used motor oil, just in the interest of saving money I think. Not sure how well it works though, probably slings off pretty quickly. Whenever I change oil I’m always so surprised how thin the viscosity is compared to new oil. Maybe a blend of it with real bar and chain oil would be good for flowing in cold temps.

hannasm

I was just reading that used motor oil will have tiny metal fragments in it that can damage your chain and bar, but I can't offer any first hand experience about that.

Jehinten

I was reading that recent post about using canola oil instead of petroleum based bar oil and it got me wondering what else I could pour in the oiler reservoir.

It sounds like there is a real hazard posed by the oil aerosalizing and then breathing in tiny particles of whatever chemicals you have mixed in there so health safety is one main consideration.

Obviously wrecking my saw is also a major concern.

One thought I had was including essential oils like neem oil, tea tree, eucalyptus or clove leaf oil (I'm Sure there are other possibilities here) that would help kill decay causing fungi and bacteria.

The canola oil is pretty thin so I'm also thinking about a thickening agent that would be appropriate.

Right now I'm doing about 75% canola 25% petroleum based oil and it seems to be ok but I have only had it in there for a day or two.

What mixes are you guys using?
Any idea whether those essential oils might be useful?
I use 100% canola oil in all my saws up to a 36" bar. I've not had any problems with oiling or excessive wear.

Reach

Used motor oil is not a good idea for a number of reasons. It’s too thin to work well, it’s an environmental hazard, and even more than that - you drain it out of your car because it’s no longer lubricating your engine. Why should you expect it to lubricate your chain?

Reactions: ATH

ATH

I gotta think essential oils add a lot of cost with little or no benefit, but maybe a nice smell.

Benjo75

My dad used to add STP to motor oil for chain oil. It was in the late 50s and 60s. He said there wasn't bar and chain oil back then. At least not in his area. I keep a 5 gallon bucket in the corner of my shop and a dedicated funnel. Every time I get an empty bottle of any kind if oil I let it stand upside down in the funnel for a day. Motor oil, cooking oil, power steering fluid,gesr oil. Anything that is oil. After about 6 months I get a free 5 gallon bucket of chain oil. Then I slowly mix it in with my regular chain oil. May bot be be worth my time but it saves wasting it and I get very clean jugs for adding something else to.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom