Chain grinding tip

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Graeme's thread reminded me of the days of grinding seemingly endless loops of chain. It took be a while to learn how to dress the radius on the wheel. Once I did it was better but...oh...so stinky!

Foley Manufacturing used to be here in Minneapolis. Nice to be able to buy factory direct and learn from their techs.

On one trip in I mentioned how nasty the smell of ground chain was and that I gat tired of having to redress the wheel to the correct radius. The tech smiled and solved both issues.

He told me to find the stub end of a scented candle. Make sure that the radius was right. Fire up the grinder and press the candle into the wheel. Make sure it warms and melts into the pores of the abrasive. It doesn't take much actually.

He told me that the was does three things.

Masks the burnt metal smell
Lubricates the grinding face of the stone.
Fills in the pores with wax so that the grit doesn't break off loosing the right radius

That sure made grinding chain much more pleasant.

Raspberry banana was my fav!

27RMT0N

Good tip, I'll have to try it out sometime.

I've got a grinder but I still hand-file 95% of the time. Unless the chain is absolutely thrashed from a serious rock or metal hit, I can probably hand-file in a quarter of the time it takes to run it on the grinder. A lot of customers ask me about them and seem to think they are a tool that requires no skill and just magically makes perfect chains. I've always found running them to be just as much of a skill and art as hand filing.

If anyone knows of any good videos on grinder tips/advice, I'd love to check them out and improve my own knowledge.

Reach

Good tip, I'll have to try it out sometime.

I've got a grinder but I still hand-file 95% of the time. Unless the chain is absolutely thrashed from a serious rock or metal hit, I can probably hand-file in a quarter of the time it takes to run it on the grinder. A lot of customers ask me about them and seem to think they are a tool that requires no skill and just magically makes perfect chains. I've always found running them to be just as much of a skill and art as hand filing.

If anyone knows of any good videos on grinder tips/advice, I'd love to check them out and improve my own knowledge.
I’ll second that. Grinders are a challenge to use correctly - I’m the only one here who can consistently make sharp chains that cut straight. One of my employees has tried, but he doesn’t have it yet. And my father shows up with a mountain of rocked chains about once a month or so and has at them - I’m not sure some of them cut better after he’s done than before he started, and he’s been sharpening his own for years.

jabezkin

When using CBN wheels. DRESS THEM.
they should look dull. If they are shiny it means they need dressing.
It’s full of steel and causing heat.

CBN you just rub the dressing stick like you do you he candle till the color is dull. You probably got a white stick white the wheel.
Norton carries them.

Dressing a conventional wheel.....a Norbide dressing stick does it best.
To check the radius just put a lid from a tin can To the wheel And carve a groove and you get the profile. 3/16” radius needed. Dress till a 3/8” drill shank fits well

just a tool and cutter grinder and chainsaw hack

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom