CCW while you climb?

Cereal_Killer

Howdy guys, admittedly this is a rec climbing question but I thought it fit better in climber talk then the rec section...

I'm off work and bored so I've been climbing more and I'm also a CCW holder and carry nearly all of the time. Not willing to leave my firearm unattended at the base of a tree I've left it at home but now I've ordered a chest rig to try out while climbing (it hasn't arrives, or even shipped, all gun stuff is so overwhelmed there's delays everywhere).

Anyone climb while armed? Interested in any stories about how it went but especially about anyone using a chest rig and/or shoulder rig while up in the canopy.

Last edited:

climbstihl

I don't carry (since I live in Germany), but if I did, I would try to keep it hidden when climbing in a public area, regardless of your state laws on open carry. No need to draw more attention to your than you already do by climbing. I would probably use a pouch on the back of the saddle, if the gun is small enough. I think a subcompact like a glock 26 or a shield wouldn't take up much more room than my first aid kit.
I think a chest rig would just get in the way of climbing, especially SRS.
In the woods not along a trail I don't see a big issue in leaving it at the base of the tree, maybe in a lockbox. Another option is to put it in a bag and hang it out of reach of the ground while climbing. That's probably the best option, since you don't need extra gear, and it won't bother you while climbing.

owScott

Curious to understand, is it your afraid to leave the gun in your car because somebody may break in and steal it or the need to have a weapon in the tree?

ppsavage

Cereal_Killer

Curious to understand, is it your afraid to leave the gun in your car because somebody may break in and steal it or the need to have a weapon in the tree?
When a firearm leaves my safe I am responsible for every projectile it fires, be it by my own hands or someone else's if they were to gain access to it. I carry everywhere I go except when I'm going somewhere carry is prohibited and to work for the same reasoning... I won't leave it in my car for fear of it being stolen. I know all about vehicle lock boxes and such attempts to secure them in my car (what if the lock box or my whole car is stolen)? I also know how easy it is for a determined criminal to access a lockbox with bolt cutters or simply slamming the corner on the ground to make it pop open. It's not something I'm willing to do. If I need to ensure a firearm is safe I leave it in the safe at home [duh] or physically keep it on my person at all times, period.

Climbstihl, I carry strictly concealed and could dress to do so with either type I mentioned (probably easier with a shoulder draw rig but I went with a chest rig for convince), open carry is legal in my state but why when I have my concealed permit.

moss

But won't you be too tempted to take out deadwood here and there up in the tree with it?

I'm not a gun owner so this is something that has never occurred to me. I typically rec climb off trail so I'd be fine to bury a weapon in my gear on the ground. I'm always trying to whittle weight off my harness so I wouldn't want to add something that I wouldn't actually use in a tree. I can imagine if you're climbing in a place with foot traffic you wouldn't want to leave it on the ground.

I used to do a lot of rec climbing in city park lands woods. I had a nice piece of perforated camo cloth that I'd put over what ever I had on the ground, never had my gear disturbed.
-AJ

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Man. That thread that savage pp linked made my stomach turn. I didn't make it to page 2.

Why is possessing a tool that gives you greater ability to handle an extreme situation when it arises such a strange concept to arborists?
I would like to point out that climbers in particular have an ability to handle stress that most people would have to train for years to develop simply because of the nature of our work.

Don't believe that just because someone without training (especially one who is under the influence of any of a number of drugs or the symptoms of withdrawal from those drugs) could decide to shoot you means that you will die.The skill required to deliver force that could kill is virtually none, but that doesn't have anything to do with the skill that they have to control that tool, the situation at hand, and get what they're trying to (like they are even certain on the front end). I have known a lot of guys who can lay out an armed opponent in about half of a second. That's just a glance away. That's the time that it takes for someone without training to exaggerate a draw after their poise announced that they may be up to no good. It's not fear. It's simply preparedness. I am happy to know that those people are around and that they don't have to wear a badge announcing to the world that they better wait until that guy leaves the store.
I don't even own a pistol, but I insist on being very proficient with the firearms that I do have, and I insist on having firearms.

Why can't the people who believe that personal responsibility is important and that there's no such thing as a good man who didn't have to choose to be that way also believe that trees are important? That's the camp that I am in. Everyone should be able to do whatever they want and should have to deal with the repercussions of doing just that.

I need a drink. Y'all are giving me grey hair.

colb

When a firearm leaves my safe I am responsible for every projectile it fires, be it by my own hands or someone else's if they were to gain access to it. I carry everywhere I go except when I'm going somewhere carry is prohibited and to work for the same reasoning... I won't leave it in my car for fear of it being stolen. I know all about vehicle lock boxes and such attempts to secure them in my car (what if the lock box or my whole car is stolen)? I also know how easy it is for a determined criminal to access a lockbox with bolt cutters or simply slamming the corner on the ground to make it pop open. It's not something I'm willing to do. If I need to ensure a firearm is safe I leave it in the safe at home [duh] or physically keep it on my person at all times, period.

Climbstihl, I carry strictly concealed and could dress to do so with either type I mentioned (probably easier with a shoulder draw rig but I went with a chest rig for convince), open carry is legal in my state but why when I have my concealed permit.
What if someone takes an excavator to your house and takes the safe? They've been doing that to bank ATMs lately... Are you responsible for projectiles fired in that circumstance? I know that is a bit of a stretch, but the point is, what is the due diligence that you are responsible for, and what is not the due diligence that you are responsible for? This idea that the gun is safe inside the house seems like a pleasant fiction, and the idea that someone will rob your car is a bit of a rare occurrence. Not saying any of this to make fun of you - I think it's great that you have this sense of responsibility for your gun that should be a baseline for anyone owning one.

Benjo75

The way I understand it is that if your gun is stolen or taken during a felony or robbery, such as car theft or break in, then you're not responsible. Like if someone stole your car and ran someone over, it's not your fault. I keep my concealed carry on me at all times. And a few more in the truck. Mine fits in my front pocket and I never know it's there. Locked in yout vehicle is fine. I would have no problem leaving mine in a bag with my gear at the bottom of the tree. I'm never over about 15 seconds from the ground at any given time anyway.

owScott

Thanks for answering my question direct. I respect that you take responsibility of carrying a firearm seriously. Just wasnt clear on the motivation to have it in a tree.

Cereal_Killer

The way I understand it is that if your gun is stolen or taken during a felony or robbery, such as car theft or break in, then you're not responsible.
Legally you are correct but since we're already side tracking on things that are a "bit of a stretch":
Bad guy comes across my vehicle parked out somewhere isolated (places I like to rec climb), i parked it somewhere far from my climbing location which I hiked to. Seeing no one around bad guy proceeds to ransack through the car, finds a lockbox, gains access to the box and steals my pistol then continues in his crime streak and comes across someone else and shoots and kills them or carjacks them or whatever bad guys do.
Sure I'm not legally liable but you can bet your ass I'm gonna feel responsible that guy accessed a weapon in the first place. Had I done due diligence in securing my firearm behind something more then one sheet of glass (car window) and one small metal/plastic lock box that death wouldn't have occurred. That's on me personally regardless if the law protects me or not.

Some of the places I climb are hunting land, places where city folk come, with guns, to do recreation activities. Local boy Meth head Joe Blow knows to target just such vehicles and knows the likely hood of being caught is lower cause of the isolation. Also he knows its likely the car owner brought a gun or two because of the location, his only unknown is if it's in the vehicle or not...

treebing

What a burden you carry. Just seems like a horrible pain in the ass. I would agree with you that when somebody loses a gun to theft because they were irresponsible. They bear some responsibility.

I used to do a lot of hitchhiking, I had a weird experience that inspired me to get some mace. Not two weeks later I left my backpack on the porch of some people I was visiting when all of a sudden we realized their kids had gotten a hold of the mace. Thankfully the breach was discovered before a 6 year old was maced in the face. That scared the shit out of me. Guns are such a popular item to steal as well.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

What a burden you carry. Just seems like a horrible pain in the ass. I would agree with you that when somebody loses a gun to theft because they were irresponsible. They bear some responsibility.

I used to do a lot of hitchhiking, I had a weird experience that inspired me to get some mace. Not two weeks later I left my backpack on the porch of some people I was visiting when all of a sudden we realized their kids had gotten a hold of the mace. Thankfully the breach was discovered before a 6 year old was maced in the face. That scared the shit out of me. Guns are such a popular item to steal as well.
My son found and a friend back when they were 7 years old and around six years ago found an older kids back pack laying on edge of our yard and there was a knife in it.. our trampoline didn't stand a chance after that.. I'm thankful all the time that's all they found..

Benjo75

It's a privilege to be able to carry if one chooses. It's nice to be able to protect yourself and your family if needed. There were always guns around the house when I was little and we were taught to to touch them and we didn't. However we were taught to use them responsibly when we were old enough. It's a shame society has got to the point we have to lock our doors and be prepared to protect ourselves just to go to the store or walk down the street.

Jemco

I'm guilty of having a firearm on the job for decades, locked in an aluminum case, buried in the bottom of a locked toolbox.

But if I needed to climb with a pistol? A custom made vest, counter weighted by three spare clips on the opposite side.

The leather vest I wear in this vid's custom made to hold a walkie talkie radio to jabber with the CO.

Gotta stay balanced up there!

Jemco

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom