Caritool love/hate relationship

JesseHuffman

I love my caritool for my chainsaw...sometimes I use it for storing extra gear. I love how they lock into my TM saddle...however, they snag branches alot. This is very frustrating and everytime it happens it is such a hassle and under the right set of circumsyances...dangerous.

Anyone know of a differnet type of caritool...perhaps with a sliding locking mechanism of some kind.
peace / love
Jesse

Smallwood

I took the spring off mine. I can't say that I recall my saw dropping off although may have happened. I had the small snaps on my Glide clip on to small branches; both times in awkward positions and hard to get released. I guess if it can happen, it will happen.
Regards,
Phil

Stumper

I also took the spring off of mine. The saw lanyard is hitched toa gear loop on my saddle and the big biner that I clip to the saw ring drops ove rthe nose of the caritool. I have a Black Diamond Ice Clipper on the other side for stowing 'biners etc. The IC has the spring/gate intact-so far no problems.

familytree

perfect name for this thread, i honestly hate my caritool biners for the same reason as everyone else, they get snagged open at the worst time, i even got my bridge stuck in it once while limb walking, since then i shortened my bridge quite a bit but i have taken the caritools off and replaced them with locking caribiners, that way i unscrew the gate if i want to open it or keep it locked and lock biners around it,

Treelimbjim

Petzl is due to release a larger and more rugged version very soon. No samples seen at TCI EXPO. Should be about two to three times the price (still pretty cheap).

tophopper

I have 3 or 4 caritools on my saddle and I really dont have any problems. Maybe once or twice have I had a branch get inside one. Not enough to be a real nuisance to me anyway. I love em! I hate the way a biner wont sit still because of the round spine.

Leon

I'm with tophopper. I like my caritool. It always drove me crazy the way a biner would flop from one side to the other. The caritool makes for quick, no looking, one handed saw clipping and retrieval.

KentuckySawyer

I used to hang a saw off a Caritool, but the weight of the saw would "open" the gate by bending the hook down. I went back to a metal non-locking accessory biner for the saw, but still like the caritool for xtra stuff or ends of rigging lines.

Leon

Jordan, no they're not very durable. That almost makes me feel more comfotable, though, because if something does get accidentally get caught in it (i.e. a rigging line) any large force will break it free. And at six bucks per caritool I can always buy another one.

That being said, I haven't broken one yet.

JordanCorbeil

That being said, Leon; six bucks is six bucks. Perhaps I will wait until Petzl comes out with the revised version, like a fellow buzzer suggested they may.

Play safe until then.

Regards.

frans

[ QUOTE ]
Petzl is due to release a larger and more rugged version very soon. No samples seen at TCI EXPO. Should be about two to three times the price (still pretty cheap).

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure love the TreeBuzz. Here is a great example of how we all benefit!
Thanks Jim.

I'll keep a sharp eye out for this product as the Caritool works very well for me

Here is the precursor to the newer plastic flat spined accessory hooks:

Attachments

• 104666-15641.jpg
    104666-15641.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 104

Phil

i wonder what the logic was to make the caritool plastic. Every other beaner we use is metal...even non locking bent gates (which I use for saw attachment) only cost 7-8 bucks, so why plastic? weight is the only thing i can think of. but if they bend and break, i would like metal. I had a loopie pop off when the caritool gate got pulled open and it stayed up a spruce tree. I had to climb back up to get it. I kept my ascenders in a bag hooked to the caritool and they fell about 70 feet. I do like it however for very easy opening. if i use my chainsaw directly in front of me I will redirect the tail of my climbing line through the caritool on my left side to keep it away from the saw. It has its place.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom