NE Tree

I love this system. My usual canopy anchor consists of an A.B. with a delta link to cinch on the limb followed by another A.B. with a pinto for retrieval. This eases my mind about any kind of wierd loading on the pinto. Not sure who came up with this technique but it works very well. I would love to give the credit where it's due.

jcarufel

I agree! Chris Coates has been a huge advocate for the Texas Tug Method which is great to see. He actually stopped a climber at TREE-JAM-CAMP during their master's climb to explain to the climber and the crowd about the advantages of the Texas Tug opposed to side loading a PINTO with the typical canopy anchor. Good to see someone want to help and for the climber to be so understanding of what he was doing. TreeCutter Doug is also a great source of info on these subjects!

NE Tree

Thanks for clearing that up. The Texas tug has been my go-to for canopy anchors since I discovered Chris Coates' video. Very effective! Sorry, I guess I spoke before reading the article

Steve Connally

I've looked closely at this set up. Is there really a substantial benefit of adding the extra gear?. An ab and delta link does great for me alone 100% of the time. Maybe it's because I haven't tried it but I feel like I don't need to add more gear to the most simplistic system. There has to be a substantial benefit other than the cool factor. Not being a doubting Thomas, just haven't seen the real benefit. Tell me why I'm wrong. Please.

NE Tree

Steve, it is only beneficial on retrieval. The pinto takes the friction off of the delta making multiple redirects much easier to pull out. With the delta alone, one redirect is about the max before I can't pull my line out

Tuebor

What contributes more to the ease of retrieving the anchor - using the pulley or having the second AB below the first?

NE Tree

With the second ab,when retrieving completely takes over the friction point and the delta is basically just hanging there. So both really

Tuebor

Ok, I looked at the blog again. I thought there was an AB with a delta link at the top and an AB with a Pinto below, so I was wondering how much easier it was with a link + pulley as opposed to just 2 links, but nevermind, because I see it's rope on rope at the top and Pinto below.

jcarufel

In the Masters at the Michigan comp last year I ran just an alpine butterfly up for a cinched canopy anchor. I natural crotch redirected once. On retrieval I damn near pulled my shoulder out of the socket and then pretty much threw up in my mouth from the amount of friction I had to pull through all while being under super tight time constraints! lol. Utilizing the TT would have really helped with the friction side of things.

Anyways, the Pinto really helps create a friction free pull and a slight mechanical advantage on retrieval. I too was a skeptic until trying it in a real life situation. It's pretty rad!

SoftBankHawks

It works as a lever to 'break' the friction on the re-direct. The longer the space between delta and pinto the easier it should be to pull the anchor free.

Steve Connally

I ordered one anyway. Had to get a quickie too. The pinto anchor wasn't good for me. Had some really bad wear points on my biner to I switched to a delta. This will serve as a back up to the quicky until I build that trust.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom