Can you help diagnose whats wrong with my chipper?

bluebeecher

Hi Friends,

A little while ago I bought a used Vermeer BC1000XL, 2005 with 2200 hours on it. It has the ford diesel engine (80hp or so)

It was running fine but lately it won't stay at fast idle and cycles between slowing down and speeding back up when its in chipping mode.

Also a day ago the battery died (maybe). I now have to boost the chipper to start it. The battery is dated May 2015 so I don't think its bad.

Could it be an electrical issue that is causing both problems? I admit I know very little about mechanical. I have checked fluid levels and greased but thats it. I added a half can of Sea-foam to the diesel and filled up the tank with fresh diesel (it was half full before, not sure how old that fuel was)

Here is a video of what it sounds like:

Any advice would be appreciated to help me out. I will bring it to the mechanic later this week if need be.
Thanks

You'll need to take it to a mechanic. It has a Cummins diesel not a Ford. There is no way to talk you through this, its way too complicated. So just take it to a Cummins shop.

deevo

You'll need to take it to a mechanic. It has a Cummins diesel not a Ford. There is no way to talk you through this, its way too complicated. So just take it to a Cummins shop.
Yep what he said, it'll be a world of fun with that chipper, just the beginning! Been there done that with my old BC1000, go bandit or Morbark and never go back!

frashdog

Start with the battery.charge it up. Buy yourself a load tester for batteries. It will tell you if the battery is good or not after you charge it.
If your battery is good and keeps dying your charging system is not doing its job.
Have you changed the fuel filter? Can you look in the fuel tank and ensure there is not a bunch of crud that could clog the pick up? at 10 years old I bet you got some crud in there.

dropper

Same thing was happening with my Bandit, I also had a low battery. Apparently it uses the battery somewhat during operation. I changed the battery and it was fine.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom