Can someone tell me what tree this wood is from?

emonstorm21

I am in Cannes France and was wondering what tree this wood is from and does any one know if it is a hard wood or soft wood? Looking the make a ring out of it. The grain looks really tight so I think it is a hard wood but I am not sure. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ATH

The tightness of the grain is dictated by how quickly or slow the tree grew (slow growing tree will have very little space between the tree rings).

Can you clean up the end grain picture and get a good close up shot of that?

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Sand a section of the end grain very smooth and pretty so that we can see it well. I don't know how many of our trees are the same, but I'm pretty good at IDing a lot of our local trees by the wood.
The quality of the picture has to be excellent, and the better the finish on the sample, the better the guesses will be. It's a little different when you can hold the wood in your hand to examine it.

Reactions: ATH

emonstorm21

**UPDATE**

So i couldn't find out what wood it was but i have completed the ring. It is a rich red wood.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ATH

Nish

If I saw that around here, I would think it's mulberry heartwood--judging mainly by the color and the way it seems to reflect light. I'm sure they have mulberry trees in France. Nice photos. Mulberries ordinarily do grow fast though.