Camp Gyro 3-way swivel

Burrapeg

I was into Wesspur yesterday and picked up one of the new Gyro's from Camp. It looked really useful, especially if we move more to two rope systems for some climbing. I really like that the swivels themselves are stainless steel instead of aluminium like the ZigZag. I know that most aluminium alloys are quite strong but they are also soft and more easily nicked or bent. One thing that surprised me when I saw the device in person was how small it actually was (photo). Online in its various pictures, I had the impressin it would be about twice the size it turned out to be. Nevertheless it is rated, with ample reserve strength. And for hiking any distance for rec climbing, the smaller and more easily carried the better. It is shocking how even a minimal amount of gear in a backpack can get heavier and heavier as a hike wears on, and of course some of us are not so young any more. Anyway, I am looking forward to the weather clearing and playing with this thing a bit. I think I will put it straight onto my rope bridge to start with.
Gyro.png

Jonny

I only saw pics online and in my email, I just figured it was much bigger than that. Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Bob Bob

I was into Wesspur yesterday and picked up one of the new Gyro's from Camp. It looked really useful, especially if we move more to two rope systems for some climbing. I really like that the swivels themselves are stainless steel instead of aluminium like the ZigZag. I know that most aluminium alloys are quite strong but they are also soft and more easily nicked or bent. One thing that surprised me when I saw the device in person was how small it actually was (photo). Online in its various pictures, I had the impressin it would be about twice the size it turned out to be. Nevertheless it is rated, with ample reserve strength. And for hiking any distance for rec climbing, the smaller and more easily carried the better. It is shocking how even a minimal amount of gear in a backpack can get heavier and heavier as a hike wears on, and of course some of us are not so young any more. Anyway, I am looking forward to the weather clearing and playing with this thing a bit. I think I will put it straight onto my rope bridge to start with.
View attachment 65229
Much smaller form factor than I expected. Cool!

surveyor

Sweet! are the rings 3/8" in dia. ? That is to say are they 3/8" thick, and what is the dia. of the ring.
Edit: Ok I see on their website the rings are 1.25" in dia. and 5/16" thick.

Last edited:

Burrapeg

If this sodding rain will ever let up and I can kick this cold I have, I want to get up a tree with this thing and put it through its paces. I wonder if they ever would consider a larger form factor model? It just seems so small.

Jonny

I’m much more interested in it now that I know it’s compact, I just don’t know what I’d really do with it yet.
Camp USA and Camp Safety (I’m assuming same parent company?) look to make decent gear, but I don’t think I own anything from them. Might buy their Kilo biner, similar to the DMM Vault and RE Transporter.

579B5C69-4AC7-4644-A679-A8093B1545B5.png

Burrapeg

. . . I’m much more interested in it now that I know it’s compact, I just don’t know what I’d really do with it yet.. . .
I can't see it being all that useful for basic SRT or DdRT, but if one is using two ropes with two systems for some reason, like a traverse or work positioning, it might be very convenient to have all three lines of support able to swivel independently. I am anxious to try it out and will report back then.

Chaplain242

If this sodding rain will ever let up and I can kick this cold I have, I want to get up a tree with this thing and put it through its paces. I wonder if they ever would consider a larger form factor model? It just seems so small.
I am guessing some carabiners won't work with it?

DSMc

I wish a manufacturer could take all the good attributes of an item like these and combine them into one great tool.

The Kilo not having a hook for the wire gate to rest in, is perfect for not snagging things being taken off. The sharp, squared surfaces however, are not good at all.

Last edited:

Chaplain242

I wish a manufacturer could take all the good attributes of an items like these and combine them into one great tool.

The Kilo not having a hook for the wire gate to rest in, is perfect for not snagging things being taken off. The sharp, squared surfaces however, are not good at all.
Finger linishing belt will fix that in no time...

AdkEric

Where did you buy it? Checked usual suspects: Wesspur, TreeStuff, Gap, Bartlett, Bailey's....
I ordered it from Rock n Rescue, they have a 10-14 day wait though.

Reactions: ATH

theatertech87

Sure. I filed off the wire gate notches on my DMM and they are much better as tool hangers. Just thought it would be nice in the manufacturers got things "perfect" instead of close.
The Rock Exotica transporter doesn't have any snaggy bits (and truth be told is slightly better in every way, slightly more gear capacity, slightly bigger opening, easier to operate blindly lock, more secure saddle attachment)

DSMc

Fair points, but I much prefer a wire gate because they are better at twist-off tool removal and the RE transporter kind of sucks at that. Bigger is not better for me in this location on the harness.