California climbing comp

Retro

The California Arborist Association is holding its' fourth annual "Tree Climbers Invitational" on Saturday October 22nd at Pena Adobe Park in Vacaville, CA.

Format

A maximum of 30 contestants will be separated into 6 groups of 5. Each contestant will compete against the four other members of thier group in 4 preliminary events: Footlock, belayed speed climb, belayed spur climb, and line setting. The fastest overall climber from each group will earn a chance to compete in the final "Masters Challenge" style workclimb.

The spur climb is in a nasty declining Monterey pine. All other events are in some very nice mid-size Valley oaks. There is plenty of covered picnic areas in case of rain.

Prize packages for finalists in 2004 were most excellent and many righteous sponsors are stepping up for 2005. Come to compete or watch. Vendors will be on hand with everything from biners to brush chippers. Registration forms are available on the CAA website. www.cal-arb-association.com.

Retro

Treemanluke, Sorry I didn't get your message sooner. I don't get in here that much. We will accept up to 30 contestants total. California Arborist Association members got the flyers this week. As of October 1, space will be available first come first serve. We'd love to see some new faces here and I would encourage out of staters to come play. We have a pretty good contingent here in California, so come prepared for a challenge.

NickfromWI

I went, I went! Fun times. It was my first competition. A heck a drive from Los Angeles, but well worth it.

Events: Footlock, Spar/spur climb, throwline, and belayed speed climb- followed by master's challenge. I didn't do so hot in ANY of the events, except the throwline. I got third place overall (and won a few prizes!) setting a line in a particular 40' crotch in 1 minute, 37 seconds. Maybe we can get some official results up here?

Jesse Bawcum won it and got like, oh, at least a thousand dollars worth of prizes! The prizes for this even were phenomenal. Prizes for the top 3 in each event, and all 6 in the master's challenge got great prizes.

Here's some pics, thanks to ptar, if anyone would like to take a peek... http://www.cal-arb-association.com/workshops/2005_10_22_invitational/photos_2005_10_22.html

love
nick

NickfromWI

I didn't get 3rd overall, I got third in the throwline however. I meant 3rd over all the competitors in the throwline. Competitors were broken up into groups of 4 or 5, and top scorer from each group advanced to the masters. Jesse was in my group. When they announced the groups, and I heard Jesse's name right after mine, I said, "well, crap."

Seriously though- a lot of fun. I'm looking for the next comp!

love
nick