Cab and chassis for grapple saw build

Gareth's Tree

I am contemplating and searching for a cabin chassis to mount a palfinger 40 series crane on for my next grapple saw truck. I am thinking I would like to go with a cab over. I talked to a dealer that had a Mack MR for sale with about 250,000 mi, and an Autocar dual drive low entry model with 100,000 miles. Both trucks are southern trucks and are quite clean for the year.

I would quickly go with the Autocar except the low entry and dual drive thing is a little bit of a turnoff. The place that is selling it says I can remove the passenger side steering wheel, and put a cover over the pedals and then use it like that, but it is still a little weird because the passenger side door is a special low entry door and does not look the same as the driver's side. But the low mileage on this truck is attractive.

Anybody have any thoughts between these two models of truck? Or a reason why the low entry model would not be a good choice?

Reach

I don’t know enough about them as trucks to give you an informed opinion, but the low entry Autocar likely has some unique wear, as I am certain that it spent its life as a trash truck. I don’t know of any other application that is harder on the drivetrain of a truck than that, I would be a bit worried about inheriting a pile of problems buying a truck that was driven full throttle 50’ at a time all day, every day, for 100k miles.

Gareth's Tree

I don’t know enough about them as trucks to give you an informed opinion, but the low entry Autocar likely has some unique wear, as I am certain that it spent its life as a trash truck. I don’t know of any other application that is harder on the drivetrain of a truck than that, I would be a bit worried about inheriting a pile of problems buying a truck that was driven full throttle 50’ at a time all day, every day, for 100k miles.
I don't disagree with you at all. Most of these cabover trucks were garbage trucks, is very hard to find any brand- Autocar, Mack or Peterbilt that weren't. This truck is actually pretty low miles, 300 - 500k is more the norm for what I have been coming across for a used cab and chassis.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom