BUYERS BEWARE!!!

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
There have been a ton of scammers trying to steal money from people by offering goods for sale, taking the money and then disappearing. Please protect yourself as much as possible and read this:

Bob Bob

Could new users be placed on probation and banned from using treebay until they reach a set milestone? Maybe new users would have to wait 90 days to use treebay or post 30 times or something similar.

My rule on treebay is to only buy stuff from well-known members or members that are actively posting and contributing.

chipper1

A lot of people join forums only to sell things and end up staying. My personal feeling is that as long as they accept payment thru PayPal or another form that has protections let them sell. I have been burned before but have also had lots of good experiences too.
That's true as I've bought items off many new guys, and I've bought from guys who haven't made a single post until placing an ad and have been on for yrs, and I've bought from guys who have been around for yrs and have never made a post who send me a PM asking if I'm interested in xyz.
Many times guys scamming will only take PayPal friends and family which has no recourse if there is a problem.
If they won't take PayPal service and merchandise, there's always a chance their the real deal ;).

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Depending upon the value of the item, there are online escrow services available who, for a nominal fee will arrange a safe transaction. I used one once before when buying a piece of expensive jewelry. I sent a cashier's check to the escrow company. They then notified the seller that they were in receipt of funds and instructed them to send the item. Once I'd received the item, I had 3 days to get it appraised and satisfy myself that it was indeed what it was represented to be. I then contacted the escrow service and notified them to release funds to the seller. It's a few more moving parts and a few more coins, but everybody in the transaction is safe.

chipper1

(234) 000-0000:
Hi I Steve. Do you still have item for sell? Will you accept credit cards payment?
Yes, please send said "credit cards" for payment and I'll send the item :).
Obviously English is not the person's native tongue.
As Tom said its not a bad idea to talk to people in person, although I've had those conversations with people who have ripped me off and with those who tried, we should be diligent and wise to the scams.
In the case with the gear and the spikes on here I was texting with the guy and all was good until I started asking for the shipping info and told him he should mark them sold, which is when I posted that I was glad to be getting them so others would know that they were sold. I also contacted the other guy who said he'd take them(many guys say that but lowball, not that I'm saying he did) to see if he bought them and sure enough he did, I knew then we had problems brewing.

Serf Life

Depending upon the value of the item, there are online escrow services available who, for a nominal fee will arrange a safe transaction. I used one once before when buying a piece of expensive jewelry. I sent a cashier's check to the escrow company. They then notified the seller that they were in receipt of funds and instructed them to send the item. Once I'd received the item, I had 3 days to get it appraised and satisfy myself that it was indeed what it was represented to be. I then contacted the escrow service and notified them to release funds to the seller. It's a few more moving parts and a few more coins, but everybody in the transaction is safe.
Wife used Mercari and PoshMark which worked well for used bougie baby clothes etc. Same setup

tomstrees

If you use paypal, not for "friends and family" unless they are, you are double protected also with the credit card chargeback option if and only if there is fraud. Most issues can be resolved over the phone.

Another issue is stolen goods, the seller becomes critical on that. Pawn shops, etc. can be a problem. Don't buy fenced goods, not every dollar saved is a good dollar.

chipper1

If you use paypal, not for "friends and family" unless they are, you are double protected also with the credit card chargeback option if and only if there is fraud. Most issues can be resolved over the phone.

Another issue is stolen goods, the seller becomes critical on that. Pawn shops, etc. can be a problem. Don't buy fenced goods, not every dollar saved is a good dollar.
That doesn't work if you're using a PayPal balance though which is what I do most times.
I did finally get the refund on the spikes I bought, they even gave me back the 3% service and merchandise cost. It's too bad the guy wouldn't just credit me on his own, sad that people would steal from others like that.

tomstrees

As a seller on ebay, the 3% forfeit that paypal has been doing with sellers gets expensive on returns, not that big a deal with a hundred bucks, but definitely with a thousand or more.

TheTreeSpyder

Motorcyclists/bikers are supposed to be a brotherhood too.
But if someone steals your scoot, they most probably can ride..
If chain/lock up in front of some outlaw clubhouse, it is like daring them they can't get past lock!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom