Bucket truck next to home foundation

sheepdog223

Searched around and unable to find anything on the forum. How often do you guys park a truck right next to (within 5-6 ft, outriggers within 2-3ft) of a homes foundation when it's the only good way to access a tree? Is the weight of a 33klb truck likely to cause damage to a foundation??

Benjo75

One of my buckets weighs 33k. I've never had any problems. It's a tandem axle. If you're concerned use bigger outrigger pads. Or lay down a sheet of 3/4 plywood first. That's pretty light for a truck so I dont forsee any problems. If I have to set outriggers on a sidewalk I will sometimes bring bigger pads to disperse the weight. A crane might be a different story.

HigherGroundArborist

I think it’s important to note that a bucket truck has stabilizers and not outriggers. The stabilizers on a bucket truck are meant to do just that, stabilize the truck. The actual truck itself is what counter balances the bucket as you’re operating it. Which is why it’s also very important that when you put your stabilizers out you make sure all four tires remain on the ground. This is different from a Crane and that the crane has outriggers which take all the weight. That is why a crane should never be that close to a foundation. I put my bucket truck next to houses all the time and have never had an issue or been concerned.

Jackjcc

I think the TCIA mobile aerial work platform cert recommends 8ft. It’s been a few years since I read it though. I won’t set up near egress window wells though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackjcc

I think the TCIA mobile aerial work platform cert recommends 8ft. It’s been a few years since I read it though. I won’t set up near egress window wells though.

VenasNursery

I think it’s important to note that a bucket truck has stabilizers and not outriggers. The stabilizers on a bucket truck are meant to do just that, stabilize the truck. The actual truck itself is what counter balances the bucket as you’re operating it. Which is why it’s also very important that when you put your stabilizers out you make sure all four tires remain on the ground. This is different from a Crane and that the crane has outriggers which take all the weight. That is why a crane should never be that close to a foundation. I put my bucket truck next to houses all the time and have never had an issue or been concerned.
Well put

Wrangler

Good post, I always worry about someone saying they found crack in their basement wall after I set up close to a house.If it’s a set up that makes me nervous I make them sing off on proposal that I’m not responsible for cracked concrete. Then I do my do diligence to disperse weight . Never had a problem but dropping large spars, like 36” and over ,right next to foundation makes me nervous for same reason. I’ll climb if it’s climbable before I take a chance. I’m a worrier though

sheepdog223

Good post, I always worry about someone saying they found crack in their basement wall after I set up close to a house.If it’s a set up that makes me nervous I make them sing off on proposal that I’m not responsible for cracked concrete. Then I do my do diligence to disperse weight . Never had a problem but dropping large spars, like 36” and over ,right next to foundation makes me nervous for same reason. I’ll climb if it’s climbable before I take a chance. I’m a worrier though
Wrangler, I'm with you. I worry about things too. . . Hence the post. The mention on an earlier response about a signed agreement when bidding/estimate when planning a close set up like that isn't a bad idea.

sheepdog223

Thanks, I'm going to check this out (and their reasoning. . . I think getting a little closer is ok when done right.

sheepdog223

Yeah, I may be incorrectly using the the terms interchangeably, bug we never lift our truck tires off the ground. Stabilizing is definitely the accurate description.

Benjo75

Those dummies at Altec need to get their terminology right. They call them outriggers all throughout their maintenance and owners manuals.

If I'm on level ground it usually doesn't take much pressure. I don't have that luxury very often since we work in the hills quite a bit. So I have to level the truck as much as possible before using it. A lot of times that means having one or several sets of tires off of the ground just to get the truck close enough to level to work it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom