Bucket saw scabbard

Cereal_Killer

Do you guys stow your saw on the inside or the outside of your bucket?
The old scabbard was all tore up so I kept it inside with me so the saw couldn't fall but the boss man got a new bucket scabbard over Xmas break so that's not a concern anymore.

On the subject, if you're gonna a have to make another cut right away after a short move do you leave the saw running in the scabbard? Since I had to have it inside with me I always killed it before but if I'm leaving it outside the bucket maybe I could leave it running?

Jehinten

When I ran a lift, I kept it outside the bucket next to the boom to help prevent crushing it against the tree. When making several cuts with little movement I'd often just hold the saw. I could run the pistol grip without looking at it and while facing any direction, so it was an easy one hand operation allowing me to hold the saw idling in the other hand.

adolan

I used to run them outside all the time until I thought I stowed a 36" saw in the scabbard ( it was hooked on the oversized dogs) and it fell as soon as I repositioned. Very close to seriously injuring a co worker. Since then inside the bucket only. Took some getting used to but the safest way to do it!

adolan

And as to shutting The saw off it depends on what I'm doing. Removals with rigging I usually will kill The saw between cuts but if I'm piecing the tree apart I usually leave it running

Jehinten

I used to run them outside all the time until I thought I stowed a 36" saw in the scabbard ( it was hooked on the oversized dogs) and it fell as soon as I repositioned. Very close to seriously injuring a co worker. Since then inside the bucket only. Took some getting used to but the safest way to do it!
I can see that being an issue, if not using a saw lanyard.

I've recently rented a lift with a large basket, I didn't mind keeping the saw inside on it. My lift was a one man bucket, so I kept the saw out of it.

Reach

We keep the saw scabbard inside, but it is a lift with a two-man basket, we do not have a bucket at present. I have no problem leaving the saw running for a short time between cuts, it’s the same as letting it run hanging on my saddle for just a moment.

MooneyPilot

One down low that puts the saw inside. One flush to the top of the rail that allows the saw inside or outside. The 200T goes in the one and the 241 goes in the low one inside.

They are made of hardwood though. I would have never thought to make them out of a metal, even aluminum. Do you have a scabbard in there?

flushcut

I added some plywood on the narrow sides where the chain touches. I used it without the plywood for about 100 hours, without plywood and didn't notice any dulling of the chain. The next one I'll make will be a little bit narrower to hold smaller saw tighter but other than that it works great. Holds everything from a 2511 12" bar to a 385 with a 36". The hooks on the outside are great for hanging rigging.
I made this one for cabling I call it the cable station and on the backside is another hook for holding a coil of cable. Image 1.jpg

MooneyPilot

Great! The wood makes them golden, IMHO. Ii meant to take a picture of ours today. Maybe tomorrow I will remember.

Very nice metalsmithing by the way.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom