Branch Manager Scoops...can one still get them?

climbhightree

Branched out member
I bought a Avant 423 the beginning of June, and at that time bought a new bmg grapple the Avant dealer had in stock. I figured I would just use the scoops from my 10 year old bmg, on the Avant (mostly only got the new bmg because of different mounting plate). When I went to do my first stump clean up with the Avant, I learned that the bmg changed in design and my old scoops didn't fit. No biggy...the Avant dealer had a order in for a restock. It has now been 2 months that I've been waiting on the re-stock, and the equipment dealer hasn't received any shipping information yet.

I understand that it is hard to get anything these days. Just curious if any one has heard anything from Branch Manager? Or if there are other options out there for scoops (especially if bmg can't produce anytime soon).

tnttree

Participating member
I bought a Avant 423 the beginning of June, and at that time bought a new bmg grapple the Avant dealer had in stock. I figured I would just use the scoops from my 10 year old bmg, on the Avant (mostly only got the new bmg because of different mounting plate). When I went to do my first stump clean up with the Avant, I learned that the bmg changed in design and my old scoops didn't fit. No biggy...the Avant dealer had a order in for a restock. It has now been 2 months that I've been waiting on the re-stock, and the equipment dealer hasn't received any shipping information yet.

I understand that it is hard to get anything these days. Just curious if any one has heard anything from Branch Manager? Or if there are other options out there for scoops (especially if bmg can't produce anytime soon).
We fishplated the large grapple arm which made it 1/2" wider -- that is why your old clams don't fit on the newer BMG. Some guys have cut the inner brackets and spread them out -- easier said then done - but it doesn't have to be pretty. couple of well placed angle Irons should put them back in service.
Wonder who your dealer is ? - we have only run short of clams twice during these pandemic times.
We have had them in stock all summer
give me a call and I will get you a set shipped this week
Dave 612-221-2043

climbhightree

Branched out member
Thanks for the reply.

I could get the large side partially pinned. The small side wasn't even close. It seemed more of a tip angle change, along with the added teeth instead of smooth.

I have a email out to the dealer, to make sure he hasn't heard anything yet (Ebling's Service Plus in Myerstown PA). If I don't hear good news back from them tomorrow...I will probably give you a ring. I don't know if they get them directly from you all, or through someone else. I had looked at both TreeStuff and Sherrill this evening, and seen both of them out of stock (I realize it is the same company).

flushcut

Branched out member
We fishplated the large grapple arm which made it 1/2" wider -- that is why your old clams don't fit on the newer BMG. Some guys have cut the inner brackets and spread them out -- easier said then done - but it doesn't have to be pretty. couple of well placed angle Irons should put them back in service.
Wonder who your dealer is ? - we have only run short of clams twice during these pandemic times.
We have had them in stock all summer
give me a call and I will get you a set shipped this week
Dave 612-221-2043
I've cut the brackets out and welded them back in. A little less than two hours.

tnttree

Participating member
Thanks for the reply.

I could get the large side partially pinned. The small side wasn't even close. It seemed more of a tip angle change, along with the added teeth instead of smooth.

I have a email out to the dealer, to make sure he hasn't heard anything yet (Ebling's Service Plus in Myerstown PA). If I don't hear good news back from them tomorrow...I will probably give you a ring. I don't know if they get them directly from you all, or through someone else. I had looked at both TreeStuff and Sherrill this evening, and seen both of them out of stock (I realize it is the same company).
We are not out of stock, and they all come from me.
looks like we recently got an order for clams from that dealer
Sherrill and treestuff -- some kind of disconnect between there web and ours?
not sure we are checking that out
We have BMG's, Rakes, and Clams all in stock

Thanks for your order and the intel

Edi

Are the scoop and rake really useful? My dealer gave me a new BMG in exchange because the Blue Diamond rotating grapple I'd bought from the theme can't handle the job after one month of use. So I'm thinking now to get the rake and scoop but I'm not sure yet, I wish the dealer let me try and see is worth spending the $2,220 for both.

FJR

The scoops excel during cleanup for big messy removals, or even a messy prune (think Honeylocust), and there is nothing better for cleaning up stump debris. The scoops are very turf friendly.

The scoops and the rake are both great for moving snow in the winter. With 5-6" of snow or less, you can use the broom to make paths to wherever you are working on the property and then clean a work zone. Less walking around in snow during the day and it makes cleanup easier. The scoops can move big piles of snow out of the way with ease.

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
Are the scoop and rake really useful?

I really like them, I bring both to nearly every job. The rake is amazing on concrete and blacktop and works pretty good on most grasses. Some yards cannot handle the rake without pulling grass, so it does take a gentle touch.

The clamshells are worth pulling out if there's more than about 5 scoops to pickup. Otherwise I'll typically scoop shovel it instead of mounting them on the grapple. My biggest complaint of these (its a small issue) is the pins. I swapped out the provided threaded pins for hardened pins with lynch pins. Much easier to install (no threads to bang up) As mentioned above, they work really good for stump cleanup as well.

I did a job this week that was two magnolia tree removals. There was lots of debris that broke off and would of had to of been picked up by hand and thrown into the chipper or truck (20 mins or so). I spent a couple of minutes raking into a pile then clamshelled everything into the truck with little to no labor.

I've shared this a couple of times recently, but it's the best video I have showing the rake in action. We were taking down several crispy Sycamore trees and I was working the ground solo.

Edi

Thank you all, I think I'm getting both. Yes the pins are just bolts, it's is a cheap design. I guess I'll have to customize.

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
Yes the pins are just bolts, it's is a cheap design. I guess I'll have to customize
Screenshot_20210730-070627_Google.jpg this is what I have been using, 1/2" diameter (I forget the length without measuring them) we've also replaced the little clip with a lynch pin. It's been working great. After a year of use there is a slight bend in the longer pin but not enough to create any difficulty in installing them.

climbhightree

Branched out member
Thank you all, I think I'm getting both. Yes the pins are just bolts, it's is a cheap design. I guess I'll have to customize.
Not seeing a problem with the bolts, or how it is considered cheap. I agree it could be designed with pressed pins (something like the joints on a knuckle boom crane)., but I dont see the need. I have had my bmg for 10 years, and over 300 hours on the machine, and I have yet to damage the bmg. Granted I had it on a 650tx, which is a smaller machine, but it is about respecting the capacity of your equipment. If you are throwing 2-3 guys on the back of the machine to lift a log, you deserve to have something break/bend. I don't add weight to my crane and then think I can lift more than my chart says. I don't put a 3k shackle on it and then expect to lift a 5k log with it.

Edi

Not seeing a problem with the bolts, or how it is considered cheap. I agree it could be designed with pressed pins (something like the joints on a knuckle boom crane)., but I dont see the need. I have had my bmg for 10 years, and over 300 hours on the machine, and I have yet to damage the bmg. Granted I had it on a 650tx, which is a smaller machine, but it is about respecting the capacity of your equipment. If you are throwing 2-3 guys on the back of the machine to lift a log, you deserve to have something break/bend. I don't add weight to my crane and then think I can lift more than my chart says. I don't put a 3k shackle on it and then expect to lift a 5k log with it.

To me ther is a better option than those bolts, for a$1,100 piece of equipment.

Attachments

• 20210730_142128.jpg
    20210730_142128.jpg
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210730_150329.jpg
    20210730_150329.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

flushcut

Branched out member
The Scoops I have came with a bolt, wing nut, and pin. I did away with the skinny blot that came with them and up sized the bolt and welded on some "fingers" to keep it from rotating and use a nylock nut that I put on finger tight and it stays put and has held up to years of use that way.

tnttree

Participating member
To me ther is a better option than those bolts, for a$1,100 piece of equipment.
yeah never liked the bolts that much, problem was, I could not find 7" hitch pins long enough for the new wider large Arm Clam --- so the grade 8 bolts were the easy ist fix. believe me I do not like drilling the holes in the bolts (6" works on the small and just barely on the old large clam)

I have noodled on a latching system so as to eliminate the bolts -
turns out easier said then developed, open to any new idea's
hate to make a change that would make them unworkable with all the existing BMGs out in the world

the bolt/pin system still has the KISS factor -- If you find a 7" X 1/2" pin let me know

Reach

Been here a while
yeah never liked the bolts that much, problem was, I could not find 7" hitch pins long enough for the new wider large Arm Clam --- so the grade 8 bolts were the easy ist fix. believe me I do not like drilling the holes in the bolts (6" works on the small and just barely on the old large clam)

I have noodled on a latching system so as to eliminate the bolts -
turns out easier said then developed, open to any new idea's
hate to make a change that would make them unworkable with all the existing BMGs out in the world

the bolt/pin system still has the KISS factor -- If you find a 7" X 1/2" pin let me know
Maybe this one? https://www.zoro.com/heritage-detent-pin-12-x-7-medium-csz-clear-dtp-0500-7000/i/G9105638/

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom