Boot recommendation

Neill

Participating member
Hi everyone,
I’m way overdue for a new pair of boots. Does anyone have a recommendation? I’m trying to stay under$200 and am ok with something not labeled “for climbing”. I will be doing climbing and ground work with them. I am looking for durability over comfort. Thank you

Chris Schultz

Participating member
I’ve had good luck and many many miles on some Carolina logger boots. I believe the steel toe version is within your price threshold, and they can be resoled by a cobbler. The leather is bulletproof, but hot. I recently got sent a pair of Haix protector ultras to try (free) as a industry professional. I will say that the price on these is high, however after test driving these I wouldn’t hesitate to throw down to pay for a pair. Super comfy for ground work, all day on Spurs, spur less climbing, wandering around doing estimating etc..... gore Tex, cut resistant, and they even have gotten LOTS of compliments on their good looks.

Reach

Been here a while
Hi everyone,
I’m way overdue for a new pair of boots. Does anyone have a recommendation? I’m trying to stay under$200 and am ok with something not labeled “for climbing”. I will be doing climbing and ground work with them. I am looking for durability over comfort. Thank you
In the “under $200” category I recommend Carolina Lytnings.

In the “far below $200” category, check out Hi-Tec Altitude IVs. They’re a highly underrated cheap boot in my opinion.

If you can come up with some more to spend, ArbPro Evo2s will do everything you need, but they’ll probably be closer to $250.

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Hi everyone,
For durability and value over comfort, I second the Carolinas. They should last about a year. I had good luck with my pair, they were much less comfortable than the mountaineering style I go for now, but definitely a good value.

I loved my Chippewa loggers that I found at a thrift store, but they eventually gave up the ghost. The leather on them was amazing, especially when treated with Obenauf's LP. For climbing, though, I've found that I really like pointed toe cowboy boots, since they allow me to get toe holds in difficult spots. The tall heels are good for lots of things, and I can wear them just about anywhere, not just at work.

Mowerr

Branched out member
Ya those logging boots are very durable but once I tried the keen Pittsburghs I've never considered going back to any logger boots.
The keens have a steel plate in the arch for support and a small heel but I feel great wearing spurs...at first I thought the heel was too small but they work great and my arches feel great. You can get steel toe or not and their usually 170-180$. I go really hard on them climbing and on the ground. Super water proof even with holes in the them. I wear them all winter too but sometimes the steel makes my toes cold on really cold days, I think this winter I'm gonna try a pair without the steel toe. I haven't yet because I really like the protection. Depending on the
weather sometimes I switch over to my Georgia mud boots if I'm working the ground mostly and it's really muddy or raining or walking through lots of snow, or if I'm just doing a few crane picks.I can get 8-12 months out of them but I usually buy a new pair onces they get any holes.
Awesome support and my feet never hurt anymore so for their price I think their hard to beat. Unless you can find a logger boot that fits very well but for me the keens are just much better but might not last as long as some logging boots.
I took advice from a lot of others on here, which is to have 2 pairs to alternate. So I'll buy a new pair sometimes in the 6-8month mark then if my boots get crazy wet I'll switch them out to the mud boots or the older beat up Keens. I think once your boots get so wet they deteriorate much quicker than when they are dry. So depending on the jobs that day I'll usually bring my mud boots or older pair of keens with me to switch out.
I think their really good for pruning, spur less climbing too. ..the soles stick to bark pretty good but I've never tried any of those really nice, pricey climbing boots that are made for arborists. For me their much better than logger boots and my feet never hurt anymore.
I wore logging boots for so many years and my feet hurt all the time till I switched to the keens about 2 years ago.
If you like more ankle support I believe they made a pair that named something else but has the same features except they lace up much higher than the Pittsburghs... high tops? Maybe you would call it

Neill

Participating member
Thanks, I went with a pair of Carolina boots, and luckily still have a little life in my pair of wolverines too. Sadly my insulated boots are put up until November or so when things get cool around here again. boots can be so finicky with one pair lasting well and feeling good and another crapping out early or being uncomfortable.

Mowerr

Branched out member
Ya one of these days I'm gonna try some nice expensive ones made for us but my biggest problem is finding them in a store to try on first.
For example the first pair of keens I bought the thinner version(I think they sell a wide and thin version in each size) and I'm so glad I got the wide ones now instead of the thin ones bc the fit is perfect now and I can still wear thick wool socks in the winter. I only did it bc it was the beginning of winter when I was shopping for them and I thought I should get a bigger size for thicker socks but I quickly realized I love the wide ones no matter what socks I wear.
I feel like they last longer now too....

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom