Bleach

evo

Last year while working near a house the homeowner had a company come over to “control” the moss on their roof. They came out with pressure washers and before long we caught strong smells of bleach. They had no issue coming near us with their over spray, and we chased them away.
This year we came back to the property to find one of the flowering cherries we worked on half dead (house side of the tree).
Yesterday, they were two doors down, doing the same thing. Only this time they had their tailgate down and I was able to see the label of the chemical they were using. I looked into it just briefly, but since this home is within 50-75’ of a creek and well within the wetland buffer I’m curious if any of you have more information.
I’d like to turn these folks in, no regard to their safety or clients property. One kid was on a steep roof, with a rock climbing harness and a back pack blower. He was “tied” off to another kid who just had a few coils of his line looped over a shoulder and under the other arm pit.

Does anyone have any data on regulations of spraying bleach near fish bearing streams?

Attachments

• EA205C9A-91EC-44F7-B4C8-48F3572CBA34.jpeg
    EA205C9A-91EC-44F7-B4C8-48F3572CBA34.jpeg
    968.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 5755AF73-307A-42F0-B5E9-10D2316A1F74.jpeg
    5755AF73-307A-42F0-B5E9-10D2316A1F74.jpeg
    960.6 KB · Views: 32

oldoakman

The labels look pretty definitive. I would turn them in. I would not be surprised if that much material has transport regulations as well. I. E. Plackarded vehicles

Steve Connally

I had my house done. It destroyed some hydrangea and a couple butterfly bushes. Some were effected and some not. There is an anti surfactant and bleach in their product. The company denied the accusations but the company that makes the product said beyond a shadow of a doubt the mix did it it’s designed to kill living organisms like mold and they said it would do the same to plants. Luckily they are slowly coming back but these were huge mature bushes.

evo

I just looked up the company name too, turns out they don’t have any employees listed, I can attest they have at least three and have had for at least a year.
Also I can’t find them under the state for having a applicator license. I assume that this would be needed?

cerviarborist

Very stable member
It's called "chemical trespass" and it's actionable. Why drive them away to someone else's place, when you can hold them accountable and recover for the loss in value to the landscape/property? When the offending company and/or their insurance underwriter has to write a significant check, (ignoring/failing to read the application label, would appear to drift right past liability and into the territory of negligence =triple damages )they'll quickly find religion.

evo

Well it’s done. Just by luck today a WA State Dept of Ecology spill response truck pulled up right in front of the job site. They were inspecting an abandoned boat, but had a nice chat with the guy. He gave me a card to report it, so I called the number. The receptionist asked how she could direct my call, and I mentioned I wasn’t sure but I’d like to report a potential case of chemical trespass into a riparian salmon bearing stream. I could hear her eyes getting big over the phone and she transferred me right away.
I’m a little ashamed with myself for taking a week to report it, but da business has swallowed up all my time.

evo

Thanks Evo for doing the right thing. Took you a week? Only a week? For me, the lag to doing the obvious right thing is sometimes much longer! I'm working on it, though.
Ha! We will see where it goes. The department of ecology passed it on to the department of ag?

On a side note are you aware of any studies about the spread of laminated root rot via tub grindings of infected stumps?

Jzack605

Good on ya. I had to report some micro injection canisters left in about 25 pines for months. Unfortunately our state environmental officials weren’t so quick to act. Hugely disappointed.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom