Biggest tree lie you’ve heard (or said?!)

Will stein

Homeowner claiming his tree is 400' over the phone. I just laughed. It turned out to be under 100' (Eastern white pine)

To his credit the guy was over 90yo and walking on his own. 100% there mentally other than his eyesight! Lol

Will stein

Homeowner claiming that a reputable company quoted them $"X" for the job (usually hundreds below your price) , but needs you to match the price.
One reason why marking tape with your logo on it would be nice. mark any trees you have quoted for. Someone else bids against you they might be more competitive. I have thought about doing this but hasn't materialized. Any thoughts?

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
One reason why marking tape with your logo on it would be nice. mark any trees you have quoted for. Someone else bids against you they might be more competitive. I have thought about doing this but hasn't materialized. Any thoughts?
Why would you want your competition to be more competitive?

I think most people bid what they need to in order to cover costs and profit. I doubt logo tape would change that.

evo

Been here a while
That’s one of the blue forms of a Douglas fir, they are fairly uncommon around here, are you sure you want to cut that down?!

‘hey, honey we have a endangered tree!’

this was for the ‘pine haven’ property custom signs and all.. they have one pine in a Douglas fir forested 40 acre homestead property

Reach

Been here a while
I think most people bid what they need to in order to cover costs and profit.
Slight derail, as this probably should be a Rant thread all its own. Most people seem to bid what they think is a little less than their competition, because they want the work and figure they can work for a little less.

The few who actually bid high enough to properly cover their costs and profit are the minority, but they stay in business and live well. If everyone actually knew what their costs were and profits should be, this industry would run better and be more profitable for everyone!

Reach

Been here a while
“My tree is 200’ tall and at least 400 years old! I know because I measured it and this calculator on the internet says so!”

Tree was a 70’ Pin Oak, maybe 50 years old at the most.

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
That's not something that I think would help me. Personally when I hear that line from customers I know to stand my ground on the pricing. A few years ago I would match the price and always regret it before the project was done. The fact is, if they had a decent company at that price then there's no reason for you to match it. It's just an angle for a lower price point.

Another thought on the marking tape, I've learned to use as generic tape as possible. I won a bid a couple of years ago, 22 trees some were deadwood removal and some were removals. I marked removals in orange and trims in pink surveyors tape as I bid it. They called another company out a few weeks later for a bid and one of the colors faded enough that it was hard to tell which was which. It frustrated them enough that they passed on the bid and I got the job, completed it ahead of schedule and made a nice profit. In addition to the colors I labeled each tree with a number (sharpie on the surveyors tape) that with my notes, it didn't matter for me if the color was identifiable.

evo

Been here a while
I walked into a back yard for a scheduled estimate, not realizing that the local Davey sales arborist was still there, to hear him say, “…Silver Maples are bulletproof.”
I tired something like this, the comp raised their rates and I became the cheapest….

Chris Schultz

Participating member
Slight derail, as this probably should be a Rant thread all its own. Most people seem to bid what they think is a little less than their competition, because they want the work and figure they can work for a little less.

The few who actually bid high enough to properly cover their costs and profit are the minority, but they stay in business and live well. If everyone actually knew what their costs were and profits should be, this industry would run better and be more profitable for everyone!
This right here, 100%. I typically don’t fuck around when someone tries to beat me up on my price, I’ll give them options to save themselves money, but I’m not working for less. I also believe that not every customer chooses the cheapest crew every time.

climbingmonkey24

Branched out member

I tend to lean more on the side of bidding higher but also fair or what I think the job is worth versus trying to undercut competitors.

I'm fine losing a job if my quote is higher versus underbidding. And when I say underbidding, I mean purposely quoting under what you know you need to make to even be able to cover costs and at least make some profit.

At that same time, if I do find I underbid halfway during the job, it doesn't change the effort we put into it and we certainly are not going back asking the customer for more money. It's on me if I was off on my quote.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom