Best way to mount on Protos helmet.

monkeylove

You guys with Protos helmets, what have you found is the best mounting option and position. I got a strap helmet mount but it doesn't really seem secure against the helmet contour. I am wondering if a couple EZ-Pass velcro strips might actually do a better job. Thoughts?

Stihlmadd

I use the curved helmet mount for my contour plus ca. the one with the rotation button feature seems to sit just that little bit higher which gives good clearance and keeps the helmet out of the shot.

Flex Abednego

right. didn't fuss with mine too much yet as i just got both a month or or two ago. took some footage last crabbing trip trying to get a basic understanding of gopro. i did put the helmet mount up to my new protos but the curve of the helmet didn't match up well to that of the mount. i was curious myself of how others had mated them.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Setup to use a Petzl Pixa 3 head lamp.

I have two (2) 3M brand Command “Mini Hooks” mounted up-side-down near the front brim.
The Pixa Lamp elastic band (1-1/8” or 30 mm wide) is slipped under the edge of the helmet’s top vent slide in the back of the helmet.
The front of the elastic band is retained under the Hooks in the front.

For an even more secure Hook attachment, use a very good quality (3M, etc) foam double-sided tape. (e.g. 1/8” thick X ¾” wide)

Easy On, Easy Off !

I also have a couple labels mounted.
They are enclosed, for rain etc, in a 3M, “Self-seal, Laminating Pouch”, (WalMart).
Attach with 1/8” X ¾” foam double-sided tape.

e.g.
1. My Name, Address
2. Emergency Contact Info:
Names, Phone Numbers, Address

Thick Foam Double Stick Tape would also work for a front camera mount; then just remove the camera from the mount when not in use.

Last edited:

climbhightree

Just received my protos today. Here is how I mounted mine...best way I can figure (if leaving on face shield). About the only flat, and wide, surface on this awesome helmet. The other spot I was looking at was down about 2"... still on the red stripe. Used the curve mount plate.

fcee6875bde55f466caad8fceb181125.jpg

f13c3d7298ce37075bbd1deafa5b79ee.jpg

43c8593ec7b64150b72a32fe6f8c27e2.jpg

96b330e8e2fb421d0612755558aa582f.jpg

You can adjust the swivels so that the helmet isn't shown.

Last edited:

climbhightree

Sigh, apparently I took the gopro picture before I remembered to move my wife's tampon box. I had taken that one while my phone was charging, to take the others. Sry

My wife found it pretty funny though, when I started swearing , and I showed her the pic on here.

gmcttr

I can't resist any longer. Everytime I read the thread title, "Best way to mount on Protos helmet", I want to respond 'from behind!':bananas:

WaitakKauri

Haha, I've had to put eyes on helmets before, but not yet in the trees. When I saw your helmet I was just too curious.

ML, sorry for the derail. If you're ever climbing down under, beware the magpies!

TreelineNH

Glad I found this thread. Just received my Protos Helmet w/ Sena Bluetooth. I was leaning towards attaching to the ridge vent. I really like the shield and plan on using it most of the time.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom