Best tree pruning book?

Anonymity

Hi there,

Just wondering if I could get any recommendations for a comprehensive tree pruning book. One that deals with various aspects of tree prunning? Not, interested really in pruning fruit tree's, not a major focus anyway.

Thanks,
Ken

mrtree

How can you say expensive? I bet it is less than $100, they amount you bill in what? 1 or 2 hours? I charge more just to come to a job.

Perhaps you should look on the book as an investment rather than an expense. Many colleges charge about $12 per contact hour so the book is worth what 5 or 8 classroom hours.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I have no clue what the cost of the book is. You might try

http://www.abebooks.com/

to see if you can locate a used one. The cost is insignificant. The value is priceless.

Here's a way to look at the expense. Decide what you want to spend on a purchase...say, $40. So, if the book is really $100 its actually only costing you $60 because you'd already allocated $40.

Worth the price no matter :)

opposablethumb

I'll give a second vote to Gilman's Pruning book.

I know everyone doesn't necessarily agree with his approach, but for me, it really "unlocked the mystery" of what happens when you remove live tissue from a tree and how you can do that to achieve certain goals with your pruning.

His approach to developmental pruning of young trees alone is worth the price of the entire book in terms of a billable service that you can offer clients. You can confidently prune young trees with specific objectives in mind according to his method, instead of just doing vague things like "thinning it out" or "trimming it up" where nobody knows exactly what happened when all is said and done.

Some of the best money I've ever spent on trying to develop my professionalism...

Anonymity

Yes I would say $120+ is on average expenseive for a book, let me say again on average. And what I think is expensive is somewhat relative. Plus, I didn't say it wasn't worth the money, if it is a valuable resource.

And, yes mrtree I agree, looking at the book as an investment is a fairly valid way to see the expense.

Thanks,
Ken

mrtree

$97 at the ISA store (plus shipping) newest edition.

Likely can find older editions, used, for a lot less.

flyingsquirrel25

This is a great book. If you ever have a chance to take a hands on class with Ed, it helps to demonstrate what he writes about. We have spent quite a bit of time learning from him and have a few of our trees in his new book.
His book or classes are worth every penny.

Adam_P

Like others have said that's the book you want and make sure it's the 3rd edition. I saw him speak about advanced pruning techniques earlier this year and in his new book there's supposed to be good information about promoting taper and the dampening effects of lower limbs.

Here is a pic of he rig they set up to test the dampening..

0.jpg

It had multiple turbo'd engines and was totally badass.

wyoclimber

Gilman's book is great. Just picked up a brand new copy of Harris' Arboriculture for $.75 at my local bargain box. Not really on topic but I wanted to brag about my sweet find.

guymayor

Yes! the 3rd edition is worth it. Gets good and deeper than the 2nd issue; not perfect, but the upcharge is about a penny a day for 10 years.

Parts in fact are fantastic. Attached is free; not as good deal as that Harris book, no matter what edition it is--but maybe worth the cost? mostly aligned and maybe an homage oh mahj
grin.gif

Attachments

• 334184-restore_2010_06.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 71

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
I have ordered Gilman's book third edition and it's in the mail. Looking forward to its arrival. Thanks again for all input!

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon's latest price for the 3rd Ed. is $82.83 (free shipping).
I ordered one.
Ciao, Greg

Anonymity

Great price! I have seen better prices at Amazon.com...than...at Amazon.ca...as far as I can tell I couldn't find any new Gilman books with free shipping to Canada for under $100+ dollars...

Ken

Sprucinator

I'm reviving this thread because I'm in search of some good pruning/ tree health care books. Gilmans book looks good but the third edition came out in 2012. I'm looking for something that's more modern and less outdated that's current with all the new research and findings of today's time. This industry evolves quickly and I just want to be as up to date as I can with pruning and tree health.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom