Best power pole saw for professional use?

fhudo

I own Sthil and husky chainsaws but never owned or used a power pole saw. I am a climber so may also use in a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiselbit

Stihl. It telescopes. The husky does not. Unless they’ve changed it recently you have to add extensions to the husky. But I haven’t looked at them for awhile. I have a couple stihls, great tool to have. Especially useful in storm damage work or a tree that’s failed for whatever reason, it allows you to stand back and cut from a safer position.

JeffGu

PPT-280-03.jpg

Echo PPT-280... much tougher poles than the Stihl polesaws. Great reach, and even more with the optional extension.

All of them are heavy, and a bitch to use in the tree. But, it IS doable. From the ground, with the 4' extension, I can reach stuff about 21' up. It gets heavy with it fully extended like that, so you have to pace yourself. Without the extension, I can reach stuff about 17' up. I like this thing better than the Stihl HT-131 that I was using before buying this one.

craneguy1

We use the stihl ht-131s...hang it out horizontal in a tree once, and you'll just want to buy a few new pole saw blades...it's a pita.

ontheropes

Not sure if this works with other brands but I like the Stihl because we occasionally do some hedge work and I take off the saw head and put in the hedge trimmers on. and have the extended reach to my advantage. Yes it gets awkward but when you can reach that far from the ground it’s a win in my eyes. I also agree the extension part of the pole is a little weak as well as the aluminum rod that drives the gears. Still is worth it to me.

Merle Nelson

I put the hedger head on the Stihl every once in a while too. Then I try to keep to sub max dia material cutting. (The Stihl dealer thinks pushing it too hard will twist a drive shaft.)

The new Stihl HT133's have a different (squarish) front tube and it may not be a simple swap anymore.

Oak Slayer

Does anyone have a Stihl HT75 or HT101 parts saw? I had a large limb come down on the extended pole on mine and bend it over a fence. The best new part online was $308 and that was for the entire handle/pole assembly. I only need the extendable portion.

Reach

Does anyone have a Stihl HT75 or HT101 parts saw? I had a large limb come down on the extended pole on mine and bend it over a fence. The best new part online was $308 and that was for the entire handle/pole assembly. I only need the extendable portion.
Have you tried your local Stihl dealer? They can often get parts you may not be able to find online.

Keeth

The Stihl HT-133 is very prone to failure. They may have discontinued them by now, so buyer beware. While the powerhead is good, the drive shaft snaps easily and the proprietary parts are especially expensive.

Merle Nelson

$308 is a great price for the whole shaft assembly. When Stihl first switched to the HT133 (squarish tube) I bought about 8 of the older front tubes and shafts - what I usually have bent. Now I think they swithced back to the old system and parts.

By the way, bent front tubes and shaft can be bent back incrementally and get a lot more hours out of them.

BooRad

Try Sthil battery powerstick. (Not sure what the model is) . Significantly lighter. Perfect for aloft. No need to pull start when climbing. Perfect for spider lift. Even take in my bucket when hydraulic saw won't reach a few tough one's.
Been more than happy with mine.

Saturday morning special as well on the ground.

MooneyPilot

The disaster relief trailer is packed with Husky chainsaws, but the pole saws are Stihl. I personally don’t use them very much because I’m usually in the bucket, but when I have, they have worked well. They, of course, are power limited, but that’s just the nature of a pole saw. For that reason, regardless of brand, you would do well to go to more trouble to keep really good cutting chains on them.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom