Best motorized backpack sprayer?

colb

Been here a while
I usually spray in natural areas. I like battery power for high % cover treatments in natural areas, and for spraying 15-25 foot-high vines. Hand pump sprayers are better for low % cover at about twice my head height or lower.

I have a bunch of Milwaukee M18 Fuel battery powered tools, so I'll be trying out their backpack sprayer system next time I need one. The tanks switch out, so you can buy extra tanks if you want to streamline your mixing efficiency.

Last time I used battery sprayers was a few years ago and the company - Fastpac - sold. They were the only company in the market at the time and the units performed well.

I can usually rely on Solo to make a good sprayer.

Lastly, you probably know this - application rates vary greatly between applicators and are the largest factor influencing how much pesticide gets to the target. I feel like a battery-powered sprayer is probably going to lay down 2-4 times more spray, and the awareness of the applicator will determine whether it is closer to 2x or 4x. I consider myself aware, but I think I still get into that 2x area. I accidentally sprayed 1% triclopyr once, on blackberries bordering a 6-acre farm parcel. I was using a 50-gallon gas-powered tank sprayer. I was trying to apply 2.0% to compensate from the 2.5% that I would have applied with a hand pump sprayer. For ease of calculation I calculated everything for 1% with the intention of doubling it, but I forgot to double it... In part, I forgot because this really chatty neighbor kid was in my ear and there was a storm predicted to roll in later in the day, so I rushed. I remembered later that night and agreed with the property owner to wait and see if the treatment worked, then apply again if necessary. There was still very complete kill. It may be that blackberries die easily - I don't spray them often enough to know. But I never spray anything with that low a rate of triclopyr.

macrocarpa

Participating member
I’ve never used it, but I’ve been eyeballing this in the Midwest arborist supplies catalog for a while.

I don't see the cart option in the below link but it is in the attached picture. Would probably fabricate my own cart with some bigger tires. I'm not a fan of carrying sprayers on my back, can never tell if its leaking or if I'm just sweating :oops:

Any thoughts on this thing for oil sprays on crabapples and fruit trees?

Update:
I contacted midwest arborist supplies and they said they would prefer the below battery sprayer over the above gas powered sprayer. Evidently it operates on the Makita batteries which I have a bunch of;

Attachments

• 61618A87-1394-4D61-85F3-0CDB1F75A80E.jpeg
    61618A87-1394-4D61-85F3-0CDB1F75A80E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I would also like to use mine as a multi purpose sprayer. We get green colored algae and some kind of black stuff growing on asphalt shingle roofs in my community. Some even have moss growing on the the roof. Bleach works well. So I looking for a sprayer that handles bleach well. Also herbicides and pestacides. Would a pump sprayer be better than a battery
Thank you.

I have used Dawn dishwashing liquid in the past and filled 2 to 3 times to clean/flush the tank. Is this a good way to do it or is there a better way? Thank you.

ATH

Been here a while
3x flushing should be good. But like I said...it only takes once. A hand pump backpack sprayer is $100. In my opinion, that is not worth risking killing plants we are trying to protect being too cheap to buy a separate sprayer.

Last edited:
3x flushing should be good. But like I said...it only takes once. A hand pump backpack sprayer is $100. Iny opinion, that is not worth risking killing plants we are trying to protect being too cheap to buy a separate sprayer.
Thank you for your wise and honest reply, in reference to the important business of protecting fruit trees etc.
This purchase for me is 99.9% not for fruit trees and the like and more for multi purpose home and rental properties.

Reach

Been here a while
I have used Dawn dishwashing liquid in the past and filled 2 to 3 times to clean/flush the tank. Is this a good way to do it or is there a better way? Thank you.
I will concur with buying multiple sprayers, they are relatively inexpensive, and it’s not really that hard to pump or a backpack sprayer. Look up the DB Smith sprayers, we have had great luck with them, they are rebuildable, fairly inexpensive, and don’t leak because the pump is inside the tank.

as for flushing the sprayers in between chemicals, I recommend using something actually made for that purpose. I would definitely not use dish soap, as dish soap is an excellent surfactant, and a trace of soap could affect the chemicals that you are using, possibly causing them to do damage they would not otherwise do.

ATH

Been here a while

as for flushing the sprayers in between chemicals, I recommend using something actually made for that purpose. I would definitely not use dish soap, as dish soap is an excellent surfactant, and a trace of soap could affect the chemicals that you are using, possibly causing them to do damage they would not otherwise do.

I own 4 different backpack sprayers 2 pumps, 2 batteries, and the flow zone battery has the best of all of them. Comfort is far better than any I have researched, wand is a 3k psi pressure wand with all-metal quick-disconnect tips pressure washing tips, by far the best pressure 20-25ft with a jet stream.

Birdyman88

Branched out member
Flowzone by typhoon it will do 20 - 25 ft no problem with a 0 tip.
Have you ever by chance used the Flowzone cyclone? It looks like it only goes to 65 psi, but they still claim 25 ft distance. I don't know if 25 ft is up or out, or if it's realistic seeing the cyclone has half the pressure of the Typhoon.

colb

Been here a while
Usually a high psi will result in too much aerosolization, leading to inhalation and off-target application. Low flow is better, and 25 ft. max is a very standard max reach. It is best to get closer to what you're spraying, using a bucket, etc.

lumberjackson

I’ve never used it, but I’ve been eyeballing this in the Midwest arborist supplies catalog for a while.

I don't see the cart option in the below link but it is in the attached picture. Would probably fabricate my own cart with some bigger tires. I'm not a fan of carrying sprayers on my back, can never tell if its leaking or if I'm just sweating :oops:

Any thoughts on this thing for oil sprays on crabapples and fruit trees?

Update:
I contacted midwest arborist supplies and they said they would prefer the below battery sprayer over the above gas powered sprayer. Evidently it operates on the Makita batteries which I have a bunch of;

I bought the 2 stroke one earlier this year for soil injections. I'm not ready to get a whole spray rig, but I needed a lot of pressure for soil injections, so this seemed to be a good option; I don't think that tomahawk one has the ability to attach to a soil probe, IIRC. I haven't had any problems with it and I don't doubt it puts out 350 PSI on full blast. I haven't used it for any above ground spraying, but it is well built and relatively comfortable for being a giant motorized backpack sprayer.

The downside is carrying a 20 pound sprayer with 6.6 gallons of water, and then stepping up on the soil probe to push it into the ground hundreds of times in a day. I've got some really nice quads now... refilling the tank so often is kind of a pain though, too. The tool itself is great. But when it comes down to actually using it, it's pretty miserable. I wish I had just gone for a skid sprayer for what I'm doing, or had an employee who doesn't mind working out his legs.

• Haha
Reactions: ATH

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom