Battery Saw

Al_trees

Hi everyone, I have watched some vids comparing the stihl and the husky. The makita with two 18v sounds like it is awkward. The stihl takes three functions to run the chain and requires two hands to do it. Maybe that is incorrect? Ahem...top handle saw if I wanted a two handed pruning saw I would pick up one of our 60cc models they cut like an animal. The husky sounds like it might be okay. Just wondering what you fellas are using if any.

I have a new 201t cm and it is a piece of junk. That could be a whole thread of its own. My echo 355t is what currently rides in the scabbard over the stihl. Echo can't cut fast enough but starts and runs reliably.

I am interested in a battery saw due to the low vibration. Day in and day out the vibes are just no good for ya.

Whatchyall think? Is there a good top handled battery? Is it good enough for removals or just light pruning? You gotta have three batteries for it to get through the day or what?

Cereal_Killer

You can pry my t540i XP out of my cold dead hands.
[Forrest Gump voice] that's all I have to say about that.

Yes 3 bli200X batteries to last the day.
Talking full on removals here, it out cuts 540T gas and 201t no problem... If a 14" bar is enough for the task at hand it'll do it, burry the bar in hard wood it doesn't care. Best top handle I've ever ran, purchased it with personal money and didn't regret doing so one second. Full send bud!

Last edited:

deevo

You can pry my t540i XP out of my cold dead hands.
[Forrest Gump voice] that's all I have to say about that.

Yes 3 bli200X batteries to last the day.
Talking full on removals here, it out cuts 540T gas and 201t no problem... If a 14" bar is enough for the task at hand it'll do it, burry the bar in hard wood it doesn't care. Best top handle I've ever ran, purchased it with personal money and didn't regret doing so one second. Full send bud!
Second that the new 540i is amazing

Stumpsprouts

Samesies on the 540i xp. Haven’t picked up my 200 in almost a year.

I have 4 batteries but in a typical day as a contract climber (read-heavy use) I’m switching out one battery at lunch time and finishing my day with the second.

no vibration is just one of the amazing benefits. No fumes, much less noise, no poorly adjusted carb/bad spark plug/pull cord breaking/muffler screws coming loose/piston and cylinder being destroyed/air filter drama/bad gas, old gas/compression/ blah blah blah.

Two answer your question re two hands- these saws do not require two hands to engage the throttle, technically. Not trying to open up the one handed chainsaw Pandora box, but it is generally accepted that even top handles should be used with two hands.

owScott

Thats a helluva endorsement fellas. I will be contacting the dealer today. I am a 200t die hard, but have been waiting until electric saws have caught up in the top handle removal saw department. Just bought an electric car for estimates and really like it also.

Stumpsprouts

Thats a helluva endorsement fellas. I will be contacting the dealer today. I am a 200t die hard, but have been waiting until electric saws have caught up in the top handle removal saw department. Just bought an electric car for estimates and really like it also.
What car did you get?
I’m eyeing the electric ford transit as a possible small chip truck. Not avail till end of year. Cutaway chassis with custom bed installed. Feels crazy.

owScott

What car did you get?
I’m eyeing the electric ford transit as a possible small chip truck. Not avail till end of year. Cutaway chassis with custom bed installed. Feels crazy.
Nissan Leaf 2019 7k miles paid 16k that 1/2 cost of new. Goes 150 miles on charge. Perfect for estimates and running around. Mainly saves miles and wear and tear on my trucks. Want to put solar on my shop roof to offset the charging. So far been happy with the results. Just the savings in diesel have been worth it. What I like about the electric saw and car is electric motors are reliable and less maintainence than internal combustion. Its the batteries that are the expense.

27RMT0N

Welp, time for me to jump on bandwagon since I've been wanting a T540i (and other battery tools) for a while now.

I just tried to order one online from Safford since they are in stock (the kit with two 200x batteries, QC500 charger and bag, as well as buying the 530iPT5 pole saw) and despite their claim of 'free shipping in the lower 48' the website just tried to charge me $4891 in shipping..... soooo, I'm waiting on a call back from customer service.

I also want the rear-handle 540i and one of the 300 batteries, but they are both out of stock. As is the 1/4 pitch Panther conversion I want to do.... figure I'll get what I can that is in stock, keep my eyes open for the other items whenever they become available.

Edit: So maybe they don't really do 'normal' shipping of items bought online.... so maybe I'm still not getting a T540i....

Last edited:

climbingmonkey24

One of my buddies has a battery powered Husky top handle and he likes it, especially for doing work on the weekends, etc. to reduce noise in the neighborhood. I've seen him use it on large removals and it works well. Seems to have good power and able to cut through bigger branches, etc.

I heard Echo is coming out with a battery top handle saw or has already but I’m not sure if it’s available everywhere yet. Would be interested to see what that one is about. Currently running an Echo 271t top handle and have been thinking about upgrading to a 355t for something with a little more power.

Last edited:

dspacio

I have the makita saws. I already had a good stash of their batteries so it made sense for me. I first got the smaller, 18v saw, it's super light, small, and for pruning, climbing around, it's hardly there. think its 7 pounds with battery. It took me a while to get used to just how to push it through the wood, without stalling it. But once I got the hang of that, it works fine. Cutting through thicker than 4", it will do, yet drains battery pretty quickly. That said, on a general prune I can get through a whole climb on one single battery, no problem. And, it can handle making an 8" diameter cut, it's just slow and steady.

It works so nice, I got the 36v (two batteries) top handle makita, and its great too. a bit heavier than the husky though, I hear; also a touch cheaper. Having the pair is great because I can assess how much big cutting I am doing. If it's hazard or big I bring the big saw, if it's lots of movement, the small. Occassionaly I will borrow a gas saw if it's real critical cuts. I traded for an old echo, just to have that on hand too, but I wonder if I will even call it off the bench often.

The husky sounds great. I have used Makita tools for years so it was a natural branch for me.

Philtreeman#1

I have really enjoyed my Stihl top handle saw. It is not as powerful or capable as the Husky. It excels on the smaller diameter stuff that I encounter on crown reductions and the like. (under 6") The advantages are the small chain and carving bar. It is relatively small and light weight. It can be used with one hand. You just have to push the side interlock in while holding the top interlock down. Then keep the top interlock depressed.
I find that I tend to use my handsaw a lot less when pruning.

macrocarpa

I thought this was a good comparison video of stihl vs echo vs husqvarna. Although it is the old husky model.

I have 3 Makita, 18V & 36V top handled, and 36V rear handle and for me they are just what I wanted. I don't doubt the new husky is more "pro" though. But I have my eye on the echo strictly due to the weight advantage! I bet Makita makes a 40V single battery saw too now that they have the 40V platform.

Al_trees

Welp, time for me to jump on bandwagon since I've been wanting a T540i (and other battery tools) for a while now.

I just tried to order one online from Safford since they are in stock (the kit with two 200x batteries, QC500 charger and bag, as well as buying the 530iPT5 pole saw) and despite their claim of 'free shipping in the lower 48' the website just tried to charge me $4891 in shipping..... soooo, I'm waiting on a call back from customer service.

I also want the rear-handle 540i and one of the 300 batteries, but they are both out of stock. As is the 1/4 pitch Panther conversion I want to do.... figure I'll get what I can that is in stock, keep my eyes open for the other items whenever they become available.

Edit: So maybe they don't really do 'normal' shipping of items bought online.... so maybe I'm still not getting a T540i....
$4891 dollars not pesos? Holy moly

Al_trees

Samesies on the 540i xp. Haven’t picked up my 200 in almost a year.

I have 4 batteries but in a typical day as a contract climber (read-heavy use) I’m switching out one battery at lunch time and finishing my day with the second.

no vibration is just one of the amazing benefits. No fumes, much less noise, no poorly adjusted carb/bad spark plug/pull cord breaking/muffler screws coming loose/piston and cylinder being destroyed/air filter drama/bad gas, old gas/compression/ blah blah blah.

Two answer your question re two hands- these saws do not require two hands to engage the throttle, technically. Not trying to open up the one handed chainsaw Pandora box, but it is generally accepted that even top handles should be used with two hands.
Well then maybe you should keep the box closed. I can't think of too many days when using a saw one handed is not necessary at one time or another.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom