Bandit 2550 stump grinder DEAD!!

ROYCE

HELP!! I have a 200 hour 2550 stump grinder from bandit with a 44hp Kubota. I bought the machine because it was pretty simple and I really like the durability of Kubota.
I went to use it today and it stated fine, got onto the trailer fine. Got off the trailer at the job fine and then would not start. It turned over and then just stopped dead.
Now, I have checked everything and can't not find why it wont turn over. I have power at the ignition switch, when turned over the fan comes on, but the starter wont turn....It gets more complicated.
I jumped the starter with a wire and it fired right up, I thought I was good and maybe it was just a bad ignition. Well, it shut off after about 3 minutes. I tried it again, same thing. Fired right up and ran for 3 minutes and then died.
So, I just held the wire to the started to get it back onto the trailer and now it is parked in my yard with a stump at my customers that still needs grinding.
I took the battery out and got that checked and it is 100%

Any thoughts??

monkeylove

Grounding out while running would be my first thought. Alternator output? I'm trying to Google how you could test for ground ing out while the engine is running. I suppose possibly the fuel pump grounds out when it cycles on, maybe 3 minutes in but that doesn't explain the starter.

ROYCE

Good thought. Our grinder won't operate if the swing out door is closed. Safety kill switch. Pretty easy to check.
Yeah, that is what is seams like that its some safety switch someplace. The only safety switch on the 2550 is for the swing out door. Basically if the door is closed then you can not operate the grinder functions. You can turn it on, and you cane drive it forward and backwards. So it's not that.
I am thinking something with the alternator maybe? That still wouldn't explain why the ignition switch does not turn on and spin the starter.

monkeylove

Royce, I would probably take another hard look at the ignition switch. It is the only thing the ties all the symptoms together.

ROYCE

Royce, I would probably take another hard look at the ignition switch. It is the only thing the ties all the symptoms together.
Good call. It was raining all day. So it could be something with that. I will look into it tomorrow. I would of thought if I was able to bypass it, why would it stall out again.

NE Tree

Royce, does it have any relays or fuses anywhere? I'm assuming it does, I'm not at all familiar with stump grinders . I have experience with our mini's which run Kubota turbo diesels. We have issues with vibration causing the relays to become loose. It's definitely worth a check. Push in on all of them while someone turns it over

Last edited:

ROYCE

Royce, does it have any relays or disses anywhere? I'm assuming it does, I'm not at all familiar with stump grinders . I have experience with our mini's which run Kubota turbo diesels. We have issues with vibration causing the relays to become loose. It's definitely worth a check. Push in on all of them while someone turns it over
Okay, I will look into that as well.

flyingsquirrel25

Is there a tattletale switch or Murphy? That would cut the engine out. The way my old chipper was wired was ignition to Murphy. In that case if you bypassed the ignition the Murphy would cut the engine out after a period of time.

ROYCE

Is there a tattletale switch or Murphy? That would cut the engine out. The way my old chipper was wired was ignition to Murphy. In that case if you bypassed the ignition the Murphy would cut the engine out after a period of time.
From what I can tell their is not. Just a single inanition for a key. Has a computer bank that gives you the reading for batter, low oil, pre-heater. So normally we just turn the key and wait for the green pre heat light to turn off, then turn the key and it fires right up. Now we get nothing.

deevo

HELP!! I have a 200 hour 2550 stump grinder from bandit with a 44hp Kubota. I bought the machine because it was pretty simple and I really like the durability of Kubota.
I went to use it today and it stated fine, got onto the trailer fine. Got off the trailer at the job fine and then would not start. It turned over and then just stopped dead.
Now, I have checked everything and can't not find why it wont turn over. I have power at the ignition switch, when turned over the fan comes on, but the starter wont turn....It gets more complicated.
I jumped the starter with a wire and it fired right up, I thought I was good and maybe it was just a bad ignition. Well, it shut off after about 3 minutes. I tried it again, same thing. Fired right up and ran for 3 minutes and then died.
So, I just held the wire to the started to get it back onto the trailer and now it is parked in my yard with a stump at my customers that still needs grinding.
I took the battery out and got that checked and it is 100%

Any thoughts??
Royce I had the exact same thing happen to mine, is your battery light on? It was the alternator on mine. Check the voltage going across. Replaced it and has been running fine since ( 3 weeks ago) mine only had 114 hours on it, I wasn't too happy! Was $350 for a new one !

ROYCE

Royce I had the exact same thing happen to mine, is your battery light on? It was the alternator on mine. Check the voltage going across. Replaced it and has been running fine since ( 3 weeks ago) mine only had 114 hours on it, I wasn't too happy! Was $350 for a new one !
My battery light is not on. But, I will check the alternator as well. I have checked everything else and that does seam to the maybe where the problem is.

TreeCo

Another possibility is the solenoid in the diesel fuel line that kills the motor when the key is turned off. As diesels don't have an ignition system it's usually how 'off' is obtained.

ROYCE

Another possibility is the solenoid in the diesel fuel line that kills the motor when the key is turned off. As diesels don't have an ignition system it's usually how 'off' is obtained.
That is where I believe the problem might be coming from. I couldn't figure it out and dropped it off at the mechanic today. However he wont be able to get to it until Monday. I will let you all know how it goes.

ROYCE

Is it up and running yet Royce? And what was it?
Opps!! Sorry that I did not follow up. It was the switch module. Took the mechanic about an hour to figure it out, then ordered the part. Cost 650 for a new one plus 300 for labor. So, 950 dollars later I am back in business. I hate equipment repairs:)

Merle Nelson

Yeah, at any time. At 200 hours for the ignition switch to go out, that's disappointing. (Someone mentioned not hanging the weight of extra keys on a chipper ignition - so I started just using the one key.)

Glad you got it handled. Thanks.