Bandit 15XPC Reviews and Opinions Worth The Purchase?

Hey all, I own a 2016 Bandit 200UC. It's been a great machine but unfortunately, the clutch went out at 1050 hours and she's in for repair. Coupled with parts and wait time from Bandit I've been out 2 weeks and still have 2 more to go. Which obviously is a serious kick in the A! With the way the industry has been this year, at least in the PNW there are no chippers to come by. Our bandit dealer got a 2018 15XPC with a 120 hp Cat diesel in it with 35 hours on it under full warranty. I'm currently demoing it and I'm pretty happy with it. I have an Sk 800 that I feed my machine with and the thing eats what I throw at it although the auto-feed is pretty quick to cycle. The question to anyone that owns this machine is do you think it's a good machine and are you happy with it? I've read some previous posts with complaints regarding chip kickback and the smaller diameter drum. Honestly, this is the first 15" chipper I've run so I don't have a lot to compare it to. Selling price is mid 50's which I know I can't touch a new diesel 15" for otherwise. I don't want to make a poor decision based on not having a machine and being out of work but also don't want to miss out on a machine that could increase productivity and at a good price? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Cheers

Update: I purchased the 15xpc. My poor 200 is still in the shop waiting for a clutch fork from bandit. Madness!! All in all I’m very happy with the machine. There is a fair amount of kickback of chips when chipping large logs. But guys stand to the side of the machine and everyone has full face and eye protection so it’s not really a huge deal. I’ve put 25-30 hours on it and so far can’t say I have any complaints. The diesel is much quieter than my gas engine was on the 200 which is nice. The tier 4 does concern me a bit but we never let the thing idle. Stack as big of pile as we can, send it and shut it down. Which in return makes for epic fuel consumption!

We have been doing a fair amount of fire damage tree removals lately. I had a few jobs that we had staged giant piles of sliver maple leaders and 14”x40 ft Sitka spruce limbs and the chipper plows through it! Haven’t found anything within reason crotch wise it won’t crush yet. That’s my 2 cents hopefully it keeps making money for us for some time to come and maybe move up to the 15xp one day.

Reach

Been here a while
Update: I purchased the 15xpc. My poor 200 is still in the shop waiting for a clutch fork from bandit. Madness!! All in all I’m very happy with the machine. There is a fair amount of kickback of chips when chipping large logs. But guys stand to the side of the machine and everyone has full face and eye protection so it’s not really a huge deal. I’ve put 25-30 hours on it and so far can’t say I have any complaints. The diesel is much quieter than my gas engine was on the 200 which is nice. The tier 4 does concern me a bit but we never let the thing idle. Stack as big of pile as we can, send it and shut it down. Which in return makes for epic fuel consumption!

We have been doing a fair amount of fire damage tree removals lately. I had a few jobs that we had staged giant piles of sliver maple leaders and 14”x40 ft Sitka spruce limbs and the chipper plows through it! Haven’t found anything within reason crotch wise it won’t crush yet. That’s my 2 cents hopefully it keeps making money for us for some time to come and maybe move up to the 15xp one day.
Glad to hear the new chipper is working so well for you! One note of caution on your no-idling habit though; if the exhaust does not come to operating temperature and stay there long enough, it will not be able to clean itself properly. Confirm with your dealer, but out diesel shop says leaving it idle up to half an hour at a time will allow it to idle up by itself if necessary to clean out the exhaust.

Glad to hear the new chipper is working so well for you! One note of caution on your no-idling habit though; if the exhaust does not come to operating temperature and stay there long enough, it will not be able to clean itself properly. Confirm with your dealer, but out diesel shop says leaving it idle up to half an hour at a time will allow it to idle up by itself if necessary to clean out the exhaust.
Thanks for the heads up. So your saying it’s good practice to let it idle and warm up before beginning chipping? 5 minutes , 10? Dealer mechanic recommend standard short warm up like all engines upon starting but expressly said not to leave at idle between chipping long due to the buildup. But would love to hear other folks experiences and opinions. Cheers

Serf Life

Carpal tunnel level member

Congrats! What was the diff in cost xpc vs xp and diesel etc? Xpc is smaller drum and lighter iirc.

Reach

Been here a while
Thanks for the heads up. So your saying it’s good practice to let it idle and warm up before beginning chipping? 5 minutes , 10? Dealer mechanic recommend standard short warm up like all engines upon starting but expressly said not to leave at idle between chipping long due to the buildup. But would love to hear other folks experiences and opinions. Cheers
Warm up should be the same as normal, but we were told to not shut the chipper down right away if you’re going to use it again shortly, let it idle in between chipping piles even if it’s 15-30 minutes between piles. That may be different by now though, as we were told this a year or two ago.

Gas 15xp was quoted at 67k diesel 79k and some change. I tried to ship around but from what I found your somewhat stuck with your local dealer and there rates.

Reach, thanks for the heads up sounds logistically correct. I’ll reach out this week to the dealer and see what they recommend regarding the matter and update the post.

Serf Life

Carpal tunnel level member
Curious what xpc cost savings is vs xp. 10k more for diesel seems like where dealers are at. I just bought a 15xp but didn’t price out a xpc or 12xp etc as I knew what I wanted.

Fivepoints

Branched out member
A very good friend bought a 15 XP about two years ago with the 120hp cat. So far, it has been 100% problem free. They use it daily but I dont know how much time is on it. My 990xp used to belong to him. I like the 990xp a lot but the 15xp is impressive.

I Was quoted 71k for a 15xpc with the cat 120. So roughly 9k less than the 15xp. If I had the choice I would have gone with the 15xp. But there wasn’t an option for me in the near future and I got the xpc at a much lower price than the new retail price.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom