Bandit 15xp starter making a grinding sound

treeandland

My 2019 Bandit 15xp has never done this before, but this morning instead of firing right up as usual, made a grinding and free spinning sound. It was a cold morning. We tapped on the starter and eventually it did turn over...but the problem re-occured later in the day. All wires seem tight. Does anyone have ideas as to what could cause this?
It's a 5.7 liter GM gasoline engine.

Reach

Yes, a very good idea, especially if a couple sharp raps on the started fixed the problem. It sounds like the bendix drive on the end of the starter is failing - not likely rebuildable on a newer engine, it’s probably time to replace the starter before it fails completely.

Edit: Just mentioned the comment on the cold; it’s marginally possible there is some ice in there causing it to stick. On a machine that new you should have a warranty, I would suggest calling the dealer to see if they’ll swap the starter for you.

treeandland

So, how did today go with the starter? Were you able to figure out the problem?
Yes, my partner is a little more mechanically savvy than me, and he convinced me to take the starter off its mount. We blew it out with the air compressor and lubricated everything with silicone spray. Put it back in and it's been starting the chipper like a champ. I think that road grit was preventing the bendix drive from moving out and engaging the fly wheel. I could see where the teeth of both were shiny from it skipping. I'm going to be calling the dealership to find out if the starter is still under warranty because this might mean it's starting to go bad. Thanks all for your tips.

Jehinten

Yes, my partner is a little more mechanically savvy than me, and he convinced me to take the starter off its mount. We blew it out with the air compressor and lubricated everything with silicone spray. Put it back in and it's been starting the chipper like a champ. I think that road grit was preventing the bendix drive from moving out and engaging the fly wheel. I could see where the teeth of both were shiny from it skipping. I'm going to be calling the dealership to find out if the starter is still under warranty because this might mean it's starting to go bad. Thanks all for your tips.
Glad to hear it. I know its back together now, but the next time its off you might rotate the engine while inspecting the flywheel teeth to confirm that the bendix not engaging hasn't removed all the teeth in one spot. You should be able to turn it with a socket on the crankshaft pulley. Just remove the wire on the distributor cap first to ensure it doesn't accidentally crank.

treeandland

Glad to hear it. I know its back together now, but the next time its off you might rotate the engine while inspecting the flywheel teeth to confirm that the bendix not engaging hasn't removed all the teeth in one spot. You should be able to turn it with a socket on the crankshaft pulley. Just remove the wire on the distributor cap first to ensure it doesn't accidentally crank.
I talked with the Bandit dealership where I bought it and they said yes the starter is covered but only if they do the work. They’re a 2.5 hour round trip away so I’m just going to buy the new starter to have on hand in case it really does go bad at some point. $190 is better than down time.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom