backwards walking

treebing

anyone do this? i tore up my knees pretty bad over 30 years of basketball. been turned on to backwards walking and jogging and its quite amazing how good my knees feel after just 3 weeks of 1/2 mile per day

its a chinese thing. they have 1/10 of knee and hip problems that we do and 10 times the population. its such an easy excercise except people look at you craaaaazy!

treebing

the concept makes a lot of sense. in america we train mainly for power and acceleration. in china the concept is to train deceleration because almost always its the deceleration that hurts you. if you soup up your engine and dont upgrade your brakes, you crash. so especially as you get older its more important to keep your brakes in good condition. its also an amazing psychological perspective to walk backwards for a distance. it makes perfect sense as a practice.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I occasionally walk backwards for short distances just for keeping surrounding awareness.

Jogging ! ! !
Do you just stretch your neck muscles, or use mirrors ? ? ?

The street that I walk on (dead-end) has very little traffic.
My neighbors think I'm crazy when they see me reading a newspaper while walking.
Walking backwards while reading the newspaper might bring the "mental doctors in white coats" ! ! !

Njdelaney

I've known a number of marathon runners who swear by walking downstairs backwards for a few days after a race to mitigate soreness. I'm sure this is related to what you're doing because it uses different muscle groups and spreads tension on skeletal muscle and joints out more evenly.

cory

Cool thread. I've done it some, this thread reminds me to do it more.

I'm guessing you were a point guard?

Chaplain242

Standard rehab is to do backwards walking in a pool, very effective. Can increase resistance easily by using an appropriate sized sea anchor etc

sometimes finding an Olympic sized pool with walking lane can be the hardest part...

treebing

r
Cool thread. I've done it some, this thread reminds me to do it more.

I'm guessing you were a point guard?
my ball handling is mediocre. 2 or 3 dribbles tops for me. mostly played off the ball... shooting guard or small foward. my favorite thing in basketball was rebounding.

Mowerr

It's very important no matter what muscle group or excersize u do, to work your negatives...which is essentially what that will do.
A lot of body builders also do a lot of work on their negatives too.
In highschool my track friends told me about running and walking backwards...I never did it much but maybe I'll try again.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom