Backup cameras & wood chippers

Anonymity

I was wondering if any of you have experience using a back up camera on a smaller dump truck with the chipper behind? can you still see enough around you and does it help with backing up the wood chipper? Or is the front of the wood chipper all you can see and it’s very unuseful? That’s what I’m wondering if anyone finds a back up camera useful when towing a fairly large wood chipper as far as sight lines are concerned? I’m sure it works great on the dump truck without the chipper being towed, however I’m wondering what it’s like with the added chipper. I asked the same question a few different ways, just trying to be clear

cucv

I have a back up camera on my 4500, it is pretty useless with a trailer or chipper behind the truck. I know someone who mounted their camera on top of the chip box. I can see how that may work. I'm going to upgrade the camera setup on the truck in a few weeks and may mount the existing camera on the back of the chipper and see how that works.

Jehinten

I have a backup camera mounted high and low on my chip truck. I switch between cameras depending on what I need to see.

The low camera helps with hookup and gives you a visual confirmation that lights and chains are hooked without getting out to check.

The upper camera guides you back to the chipper until your close enough to switch to the low camera, let's you see around the chipper while backing up and can even be used to help see blind spots while driving.

My cameras are wired to a toggle switch instead of the reverse lights, so I can turn them on/off as needed.

Attached is the view from my cameras behind a GMC 6500 with a woodchuck wc/17. Your views may change depending on your truck/chipper combo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210409-201849_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210409-201849_Photos.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210409-201844_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210409-201844_Photos.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

VenasNursery

I have a backup camera mounted high and low on my chip truck. I switch between cameras depending on what I need to see.

The low camera helps with hookup and gives you a visual confirmation that lights and chains are hooked without getting out to check.

The upper camera guides you back to the chipper until your close enough to switch to the low camera, let's you see around the chipper while backing up and can even be used to help see blind spots while driving.

My cameras are wired to a toggle switch instead of the reverse lights, so I can turn them on/off as needed.

Attached is the view from my cameras behind a GMC 6500 with a woodchuck wc/17. Your views may change depending on your truck/chipper combo.
What model
Really cool setup

Jehinten

What model
Really cool setup
I cannot find the exact model that I purchased but I believe it was an Amazon purchase for about $120 for 2 wireless cameras and the monitor. They have the option for a wired video signal as well, buy I went with the wireless option. At about 20' of distance and that much steel in between the signal does flicker a little but is still very useful. I'm sure that a hardwire video signal would be of better quality.

Not the exact model, but similar https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Veh...e+Backup+Cameras&qid=1618060108&s=car&sr=1-33

evo

After searching the web on backup cameras I decided the best for me was a GoPro with a magnet mount.
I thought I could slap it on the truck to hook up the chipper and then slap it on the chipper when needed. And use my cell as a screen.
It doesn’t work worth a shit. Signal to the cell is spotty, and when it does work there is a huge delay...

ATH

Bluetooth camera. Put one on the truck and one on the chipper. Amazon Fire tablet mounted in the truck.

I haven't done this yet, but my plan for sometime. I have a wired one in the truck now. Rarely feel like one on the trailer would help.

27RMT0N

I have a front/rear dashcam on my truck, with the rear camera mounted high on the box. It lets me see the chipper I'm towing and everything behind me. I'll try and get some pictures and explain my system a little better shortly.

27RMT0N

Alright, so I made a silly little video.

My system is just a cheap-o mirror mounted front and rear dashcam off Amazon. They seem to range from $50-$200 and I can't really tell what makes them different. The video quality when put on a big screen isn't great, but good enough. I mostly bought it for front/rear recording anytime I'm driving, so if something happens on the road (ie: some tourist crashes into me) I have video proof. But it also gives me amazing rear visibility since I otherwise can't see out the rear of the truck, and a way to keep an eye on the trailer as you drive. The wide-angle lenses distortion make exact navigation backing up a challenge so most of my maneuvering is still done with the mirrors, but the camera gives me the big picture. And when driving on the road, it also lets me see such a wide field of view I can see more than you EVER could with just mirrors. A huge help backing out of a driveway into a road for example.

The rear camera is mounted on the utility box, in the middle under that ladder, the front camera is of course on the mirror. Rear camera is hardwired and gets covered on the few occasions I chip into the truck.

I'm going to add another camera at the hitch as well for easier solo connecting. And the way this is setup is that it is just always on, recording and showing both cameras. Not just when the truck is in reverse.

(random cam image off amazon, this is the general idea)

61T+V-Oqi+L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

DSCN8822 (Custom).JPG

DSCN8820 (Custom).JPG

Here is what it looks like in use:

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom