Articulated loaders (other options?)

tnttree

Participating member
I ran Swingers, Avants, Gehls, & Case, Articulating loaders in my 25 year Tree Company experience,
My Articulating equipment selling experience of over 20 years , includes Gehls, Avants, Multi-ones, Giants
They are all basically all good tree forwarders, That said, in small loaders Giant's 254 model is the best machine I have ever operated because of the features NO other MFG's has.
Not to mention their superb dependability on par with Avants

Will stein

I ran Swingers, Avants, Gehls, & Case, Articulating loaders in my 25 year Tree Company experience,
My Articulating equipment selling experience of over 20 years , includes Gehls, Avants, Multi-ones, Giants
They are all basically all good tree forwarders, That said, in small loaders Giant's 254 model is the best machine I have ever operated because of the features NO other MFG's has.
Not to mention their superb dependability on par with Avants
Would the three inch spacers work with the 13inch wide turf tires?

deevo

Been here a while
D50A615D-CF1E-4733-A629-2F6B2264BB9A.jpeg
we had both avants running yesterday on a big tornado job, this was only part of it the tree in pool, would of taken other companies with nothing 2 days to do a job like this, and we were done in less then 4 hours with the both machines running and large chipper. The grass was left in the same condition as when we arrived, a mini skid would of completely destroyed it.

VenasNursery

Carpal tunnel level member
View attachment 77021
we had both avants running yesterday on a big tornado job, this was only part of it the tree in pool, would of taken other companies with nothing 2 days to do a job like this, and we were done in less then 4 hours with the both machines running and large chipper. The grass was left in the same condition as when we arrived, a mini skid would of completely destroyed it.
We run mini’s everyday

we don’t ruin any yards

“It’s all in the hips” lol

FJR

Dave, you will love to hear this... our original Giant 254t is just about to hit 4000 hours. It is a stud. If only all tree care equipment was this reliable.

We do have a a new 254t with around 200 hours, but I still prefer the old girl.

Will stein

Rolling a machine on its side is an operator error, all articulating loaders can be tipped easily with a balls to the walls operator.
Mowerr which Giant model do you have? do you have the frame locked in Rigid mode?

Rigid framed machines are more stable than oscillating Axles, The Giant 254T is the only Brand out there that does both
In Oscillation mode you have much better traction and a smoother ride.
Giant - Avant all the others I always recommend foam filling tires not just for the added stability but NO FLATS is an added bonus.
Giant 263's - 1500's - Gehl 140's are notoriously tippy - you need the widest tires
I made the first commercially available duals for Gehl 140's just because of operator errors
Giant has 13" wide tires, Avants 12'" minimal but every inch helps stability
Giant has allowed me to make Duals for the 254's and factory Warranty them - extra stable, and you can chain up the outer dual
and I have made 1 1/2" wheel spacers gives you 3 more inches of stability
How about wheel tie-downs that attach to the lugnuts. I've seen them for multione and avant. Anything for the Giant 254t?

With the dual wheel option would the outer wheel chains hold up to working in the woods going over stumps and rocks?

Last edited:

tnttree

Participating member
Dave, you will love to hear this... our original Giant 254t is just about to hit 4000 hours. It is a stud. If only all tree care equipment was this reliable.

We do have a a new 254t with around 200 hours, but I still prefer the old girl.
Wow
Fred, that is amazing to hear
they are incredibly dependable
One of the reasons, Its been a Joy to spread them around the country

tnttree

Participating member
How

How about wheel tie-downs that attach to the lugnuts. I've seen them for multione and avant. Anything for the Giant 254t?

With the dual wheel option would the outer wheel chains hold up to working in the woods going over stumps and rocks?
Good Question
I have only used the chains in the snow
Out in the woods - I imagine they will wear out quickly
Don't think the MFG made them for what you and I will put them through

Its dry right now up at my tornadoed damaged woods in WI. This winter, or if she gets wet this fall
I will put the chains to the test

No Giant has not made those lugnut tie downs. I have asked them
Butt THE Avant 528 ones should fit on theGiant 254's

Will stein

View attachment 77497
View attachment 77498
1050 next to the giant. I'm 6'2" for reference. Thing has some serious reach holy smokes
Get yourself a power rotatating grapple for that giant and your going to have much more control. Good luck and enjoy the loader. We love ours. It's our ace in the hole. My loader is 2 years old and has 860hrs. We use it just about everyday.

Attachments

• 20210317_134153~2.jpg
    20210317_134153~2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 26

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom