Arrrgh! New clutch time...

evo

Fuck a duck that sucks!
No what sucks is that for most they can just go get it repaired. For me if I opted to take it in for a repair/rebuild that’s two days round trip travel (shut down) and however long for the repairs. Or I could just buy a whole freakin new clutch and be back running on Tuesday.
I’m all about the right to repair movement, but I have to look at the bottom line. Lost work, keeping the employees happy, keeping the schedule, and keeping the family fed. $1250 plus $370 shipping (and sales tax! Or a week down waiting on parts and rebuilding it myself for probably just $200 in parts.

Barc Buster

No what sucks is that for most they can just go get it repaired. For me if I opted to take it in for a repair/rebuild that’s two days round trip travel (shut down) and however long for the repairs. Or I could just buy a whole freakin new clutch and be back running on Tuesday.
I’m all about the right to repair movement, but I have to look at the bottom line. Lost work, keeping the employees happy, keeping the schedule, and keeping the family fed. $1250 plus $370 shipping (and sales tax! Or a week down waiting on parts and rebuilding it myself for probably just $200 in parts.
Yeah figured it would be extra special because of your location. Sucks man.

evo

Who’s your daddy? Freaked clutch didn’t show until dusk, I wrestled this pig into place as daylight faded. Damn headlamp batteries died on me, but got it all loose fitted by cell phone flashlight. Waking predawn tomorrow to get things snuggled up before work tomorrow.
Got to where it is in under two hours, glass of wine and a shower for me!
771271C5-EC05-4F10-B19B-D74AD47CF9FC.jpeg 941D37FA-23CF-48D3-A018-2DF965E8D136.jpeg

evo

So if I this helps anyone, this clutch has a three piece composite friction disk. You HAVE to line up the pilot bearing and mesh the three composite sections into the gear ring. I took this all apart when the chipper was new to me because I found a loose bolt (very likely contributed to the failure I had). When I did this years ago I removed the clutch DISENGAGED and the three pieces obviously fell from the friction plates. Each friction has a gap so it’s a epic pain in the ass to get everything lined up.
Get yourself a few long bolts from the hardware store and cut the heads off. You can use these as pins to slide the clutch into place.
The new clutch came ENGAGED, which I assumed was to hold the friction plates in the proper place. It lined up with the pilot bearing and the plates seemed to mesh with the gear ring (also came with a new one but I chose not to replace it). Even with soft hammer taps I couldn’t get the damn thing in. I took the inspection cover off, and it appeared that the frictions meshed with the ring by about 20%. It was hard to tell if everything was all good around the entire circumstance, and I tried gently taping and prying with no avail.
I decided to DISENGAGE the clutch, with a few mounting bolts treaded in (just room enough for the threads to lightly engage). It was a gamble that paid off. With a slight push it all just fell right into place.

The drive train is the weak point of my chipper, due to some factory cut air holes (presumably to induce air flow behind the disk) right in the belt pulley region. Fine chips fly through the screen into the belts and wear them out every 18 months or so. This coupled with the nut that fell off inside the clutch, I spent about 1.5 hours disassembly and about 2-2.5 hours for reassembly.
I don’t regret buying a new clutch vs rebuilding it, nor the same for paying for a rebuild ($900-1000 vs $1250 plus shipping and about the same down time plus work load & 3 hours travel one way).
I do recommend getting into it even if it’s for a solid degreasing. The lessons I learned by doing this years ago saved me so much time (and the need to call in friends for help).

Reach

Glad to see you got it back together! And thanks for the installation tips. Hopefully it will last you many more years. It looks like that’s a Twin Disc clutch? If so, as long as you don’t damage it and you engage it properly (bump it in, don’t ease it in like an auto clutch) it should last about forever. We have a chipper right now with about 6500 hours on the original clutch with what appears to be plenty of wear left.

evo

Glad to see you got it back together! And thanks for the installation tips. Hopefully it will last you many more years. It looks like that’s a Twin Disc clutch? If so, as long as you don’t damage it and you engage it properly (bump it in, don’t ease it in like an auto clutch) it should last about forever. We have a chipper right now with about 6500 hours on the original clutch with what appears to be plenty of wear left.
And now I even have a spare that I can rebuild, for ......?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom