Are These The Same Tree? (Willow?)

We recently purchased a home in Midland, Texas (the desert). This small tree was planted in the front yard.

I was wondering:
a) what type of tree this is?
b) is this tree ideal for a desert like climate?
c) is it the same as the other large willows we have on the property (see additional pics)? (they don't seem to do well in this climate... we're actually having to have a few dead ones removed)

Bonus Thoughts on this?:

I'm currently thinking of removing this said tree in question and replacing it with a live oak. There are numerous live oaks in the front yard and they seem geared towards this climate. Any concerns with this?

Tree in question:

IMG_6224.JPG

Other Trees on property that we don't really like:

IMG_6225.JPG

Thanks for the help!
Carb

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Sorry...I can't help with the ID...too far out of my biome.

If you choose to plant live oak be sure to spend time sourcing ones grown from seed stock in your region/biome. Too often trees from out of the region are planted and they aren't suited for the area. There are differences between the same species tree grown on one edge of the distribution than another. Florida is MUCH different than West Texas but both are places where Live Oak is grown. Red Maple grows in Florida and Minnesota but native trees to either biome would struggle in the other.

In your search you'll meet small nursery owners who share ideals that aren't different from what you might find at a fine wine shop vrs. the grocery store.

EDIT: I've never been to Midland but I'm familiar with the area. Live Oak may not be the best choice as a shade tree. Talk with a local grower/nursery. They will be the best source for species and variety for your yard.

Last edited:
It (the first picture) looks like a desert willow. Well-suited for Midland. The others look like some variety/cultivar of black willow that will probably always have issues over there. Tree Loving Care in Midland is a great company that has a guy that can coach y'all on other varieties that may be more suitable than live oaks.

Thanks for the help yall! Those "black willows" are going to cost me a fortune as they die off...

We'll consider keeping the desert willow for sure. Although it would be really nice to have an Oak in that same location...

I'd love for this desert willow to get as tall and straight as it possibly can. Should I stake or tie it down so that it grows straight up? I'm new to these things... Sorry for the newbie question.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom