Arborwear T-Shirts Tech or Transpiration?

stheis004

I'll be ordering some new t-shirts, love the quality arborwear offers, they have two models i'm interested, tech & transpiration. I can't find a reason for one over the other, both are priced the same, only difference I can see is that one is 85 polyester/15 cotton, the other is 100 polyester.

Has anyone worn both and have a reason to get one over the other? Thanks!

Transpiration

Tech

Steve Connally

I've used Transpiration. You don't want cotton. It actually stays wet and doesn't pull the sweat off your skin so your body can cool. Once the cotton is soaked, it stays that way. I personally prefer the TrueWerk T.5 short sleeve shirts. So much better IMHO. I stepped away from Arborwear a long time ago. If you are looking for reflective, the Stein shirts are awesome.

B_Strange

Cotton is rotten! +1 on everything Steve said. I’ve never worn the Arborwear shirt. I love the Truewerk T.5 short sleeve shirts. I wear em year round. In the summer I soak mine in a weak Oxyclean solution to help remove the tree stains and sweat and wash them once a week.

oldoakman

I have all 3. Just got two of the transpiration shirts when Arborwear had their 20% off sale a month ago. Both the tech t and transpiration are great work shirts. The tech t dries a bit slower and the transpiration can feel a bit clammy if the humidity is real high. Transpiration and truewerk T.5 are equals.

ATH

Don't have the T shirts, but have both styles of their polos.

The one with cotton is more comfortable, but looks worn/faded after less use than the polyester shirts. I wish the 100% poly shirts had 3 buttons instead of 2...but the fabric itself is comfortable.

samsquatch

the transpiration can feel a bit clammy if the humidity is real high.
This is something I struggle with. Heat doesn't bother me, humidity does. To me, the MN summer humidity is almost as unbearable as the MN winter is to others. I wear 100% cotton tees, even if they stay damp they can be cool with a slight breeze. I can't stand polyester sticking to my skin.

That said, does anyone know if there other products out there that don't cling to skin but do dry faster than cotton?

B_Strange

This is something I struggle with. Heat doesn't bother me, humidity does. To me, the MN summer humidity is almost as unbearable as the MN winter is to others. I wear 100% cotton tees, even if they stay damp they can be cool with a slight breeze. I can't stand polyester sticking to my skin.

That said, does anyone know if there other products out there that don't cling to skin but do dry faster than cotton?
I hear you on the humidity. Never really thought about MN being humid. Learn something new everyday!
On topic- when I was commuting by bicycle everyday in Tidewater VA I seriously looked at t-shirts made from merino wool. Super thin and soft and not sticky like polyester. Never sprang for them and don’t know how they would last with tree work but might be worth a look.

samsquatch

I hear you on the humidity. Never really thought about MN being humid. Learn something new everyday!
I've been in DC and VA in the summer and our humidity doesn't compare. But maybe I'm just sensitive to it. Funny, it never bothered when I worked on the asphalt paving crew, but I think that's because the heat of the asphalt dried the moisture in the air :)

B_Strange

I've been in DC and VA in the summer and our humidity doesn't compare. But maybe I'm just sensitive to it. Funny, it never bothered when I worked on the asphalt paving crew, but I think that's because the heat of the asphalt dried the moisture in the air :)
I’ve never had the pleasure of visiting MN. Kinda always wanted to since my wife loves canoeing and ya’ll have like a million lakes right? And the Mississippi?
Asphalt crew huh? That has always looked liked the hottest job ever.
Those merino shirts are pricey for what they are which is why I never got them. As far as I know it’s the only natural fiber that doesn’t get soaked and stay soaked. Maybe hemp?

oldoakman

The tech tee's are a reasonable compromise.

hannasm

You guys buy expensive t-shirts. I have about 20 of the Hanes dri-fit in my closet, they are 100% polyester and I can't imagine them being much different from any of those other shirts. There used to be a place you could buy them in bulk online but it's probably best to wait for a big sale on Hanes website these days. You can get them for $6 or less.

There is also a new line called x-temp tri blend that are much less sticky but I would say a bit less durable . those were going for $3 a piece on the sale I found. They are a really nice shirt for warm weather though you may go through them pretty fast if your hauling brush and rubbing on tree bark all day.

And you can choose from like 20 colors.

Reactions: ATH

erwin

I tried all kind of shirts and settled on long sleeve Husqvana. nice tight zipper all the way to ur neck to keep saw dust out, nice chest pocket. The link is a short sleeve one. I have to wear long sleeve for safety.
As far as pants, I only climb with Arborwear ascender. Great combination!

Anawan

I’ve used the Stein shirts which are much better than most, but since the spring I’ve switched to a la sportiva tech tee which is about the same price and much better with sweat. Lots of fun patterns to choose from.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom