Arborvitaes not looking healthy after winter

Reach

Ask Bambi. That’s deer damage, from grazing. Did you have more snow cover than usual this winter? If so, the deer will eat the lower leaves of arborvitae when they get hungry if there’s nothing else. Around here some of the deer seem to have developed a taste for arbs, to the point we have customers who put deer fence around their arbs for the winter.

macrocarpa

All the Thuja occ have been grazed by deer on country properties in my area.

They don't seem to munch on the Thuja plicata but they will rub the crap out of them with there antlers in the fall....Its frustrating!

Dan Cobb

We're so overrun by deer it's not even funny. I'm in a suburban subdivision a mile from an interstate interchange, but have a fair amount of woods surrounding my immediate area. My neighbor got one picture in the neighborhood that had 43 deer.

Dan Cobb

Years ago, my wife was about to stroke out over the squirrels eating the suet in the feeder for the birds. "ISN'T THERE SOMETHING YOU CAN DO?" A little while later, there's some hardware cloth on the feeder roof and a couple of wires running inside. Ever see a grown woman trying to resuscitate a squirrel? She, being the type that will catch a spider and put it outside rather than squish it, then decided it was okay for the squirrels to eat the suet.

27RMT0N

NSFW................?

Where I live, deer a seriously over-populated as a result of humans killing off all natural predators as well as people feeding them..... They are a major problem in the ecosystem, but when they get hit by cars, or culled due to disease , they become good feed for ravens, vultures and eagles.

PRMS0491 (Custom).JPG

PRMS0498 (Custom).JPG

PRMS0501 (Custom).JPG

PRMS0509 (Custom).JPG

PRMS0553 (Custom).JPG

PRMS0840 (Custom).JPG

PRMS0867 (Custom).JPG

evo

NSFW................?

Where I live, deer a seriously over-populated as a result of humans killing off all natural predators as well as people feeding them..... They are a major problem in the ecosystem, but when they get hit by cars, or culled due to disease , they become good feed for ravens, vultures and eagles.

View attachment 74644

View attachment 74645

View attachment 74646

View attachment 74647

View attachment 74648

View attachment 74649

View attachment 74650
I know your inbred mutant deer issue well, what impresses me is on that series only a hour has elapsed.

27RMT0N

Yah, I've seen some truly nasty deer and it's only getting worse..... in the spring/summer, the birds can strip a carcass, or three, in under an hour. Only the 'toxic' stomach and bones remain.

Edit: To expand on this issue: As a result of an unnatural forest regeneration thanks to clear cutting, the trees all re-grew at the same time, and the small amount of ground cover that does spring up between this is all eaten by the struggling deer (too many deer, not enough food). As a result of that, the forest floor is practically dead. We have an entire generation (or more) where almost no young trees can get established since it all gets eaten by starving deer, so it is essentially a mono-crop forest growing too close together and competing with each other. Outsiders tend to think this is some kind of untouched wilderness, but anyone who understands the ecosystem knows it is actually struggling and very unhealthy.

Last edited:

flushcut

NSFW................?

View attachment 74644

View attachment 74645

View attachment 74646

View attachment 74647

View attachment 74648

View attachment 74649

View attachment 74650
That's awesome! Eagles are just making a comeback in my area.

evo

Not enough hunters in pnw? Or just that many deer? I saw mutant and toxic in comments I'm assuming you have cwd?
I’m not sure what cwd is? Here on Whidbey deer hunting is restricted to shotgun slugs and archery only. Not sure about the San Juan’s as we are a basically our own county. All the hunters I know on the island turn their noses up at the deer here, and go to the mainland. Ours are smaller than the mainland and even smaller on the San Juan’s (large goat size).
Edit, the mutant comment was due to the inbreeding. It’s resulted in a high piebald population, some are nearly all white. I’m still kicking myself in the ass for not picking up the fresh road kill piebald buck last spring. His hide would have made a bad ass bed spread. Just didn’t have the time to process!

Reach

I’m not sure what cwd is? Here on Whidbey deer hunting is restricted to shotgun slugs and archery only. Not sure about the San Juan’s as we are a basically our own county. All the hunters I know on the island turn their noses up at the deer here, and go to the mainland. Ours are smaller than the mainland and even smaller on the San Juan’s (large goat size).
Edit, the mutant comment was due to the inbreeding. It’s resulted in a high piebald population, some are nearly all white. I’m still kicking myself in the ass for not picking up the fresh road kill piebald buck last spring. His hide would have made a bad ass bed spread. Just didn’t have the time to process!
CWD is Chronic Wasting Disease. It’s a terrible problem here in PA, far too many deer seem to have it, and there are a lot of rules on moving deer and deer parts around the state, as the Game Commission is trying to control the spread.

A friend of mine lives sometimes on Whidbey, and presently in Ellensburg; he sends me pictures of dozens of deer in the yard every morning. He’s got most of them named, they’re so fearless they’ll come right up to his windows in the morning begging food.

Attachments

• 02DFF68F-9D5C-4619-A2A1-5F0BA72F96D5.jpeg
    02DFF68F-9D5C-4619-A2A1-5F0BA72F96D5.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 6

ATH

Often one "problem" with hunters is not that there aren't enough hunters, but that there are too many trophy hunters who won't shoot a doe. Killing a 5 year old buck does nothing for the population.

Also, wildlife agencies don't always hate the high numbers...they sell more tags when there are more deer. If they really wanted to bring down numbers they'd have longer seasons, higher tag limits, lower prices, and antler-less only requirements for at least a big portion of the season or certain number of tags.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom