arborjet or wedgle?

arbor jet or wedgle?

• Total voters
I found wedgle to be quite a bit faster per tree, also less gear. The wedgle also seemed to leave more damage treating the same trees all the time. They both work well, but I think the arborjet is better.

Spruce Dickinson

I found wedgle to be quite a bit faster per tree, also less gear. The wedgle also seemed to leave more damage treating the same trees all the time. They both work well, but I think the arborjet is better.
Thanks thats good to know!! Are the supplies and upkeep about the same cost between the two?

I can't speak to cost, since I'm not the one writing the checks. Arborjet is more gear intensive and needs to be cleaned more. It's not that bad though. Ill put it this way...if I had to inject 5 trees for a stranger I never had to see again I would use wedgle and be done quicker and easier. If those same trees were in my yard and I could choose, I would reach for the arborjet. They are both good though.

JD3000

Most well-known member
I generally saw more localized necrosis at the injection points after Wedgle use.

Spruce Dickinson

I can't speak to cost, since I'm not the one writing the checks. Arborjet is more gear intensive and needs to be cleaned more. It's not that bad though. Ill put it this way...if I had to inject 5 trees for a stranger I never had to see again I would use wedgle and be done quicker and easier. If those same trees were in my yard and I could choose, I would reach for the arborjet. They are both good though.
Thank you for the input!

ATH

What are you injecting?

I started with a QuickJet using the original TREEage. I'd have given it away based on that experience. I've been using the Tree IV for 10+ years with good results. I've since tried the QuickJet with other products such as TREEage G4 (not sure why anybody would still use the original) and Phospho-Jet. It is a good product with thinner material.

I haven't used the Wedgel because I saw too many pictures of damaged bark at the injection site. ArborJet can do that too if the plug isn't set right, but I have seen less discussion of it...

Rainbow also has the Q-Connect. I did demo it a few years ago doing EAB injections with TREEage. If I were starting from scratch, I'd strongly consider it...but it doesn't take much to keep the TreeIV system running strong and I can't justify the cost of replacing it all together with a new system. Not sure it is a lot better than the TreeIV, but fewer parts and no $0.50 plugs for every injection site.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Yeah agreed here. It's worth taking the time to flush and clean it out as well as just replacing valves and o rings in the off season.

Dont drop your needle cleaner in the woods or tall grass though.

jed1124

I clean my Tree IV at the end of each week with a complete tear down and soak at the end of each season with no problems. I only use Arbormectin or g4 in it though so there's no concern of cross contamination.
I'm concernd they are going to push us all into the new system as all the IV stuff was on clearance at my local site one last year.
If they do I'm going to go toward the rainbow product. I like the idea of no plugs.

Bryan Gilles

I have a very large system of wedgle I am looking to sell. I have over 300 of the needles in all sizes, 2 injection systems, 2 high volume kits. Everything is cleaned and in working order. Contact me if you are interested.