Arborist Pocket Dictionary

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
Just thinking of some ridiculous things that have entered my lexicon, please add yours. I’m sure I’ll think of more…

‘Austin Powersing’ - Maneuvering a rig backwards and forwards several times to get through a tight squeeze.

‘Jackie Channing’ - Letting a piece drop through several branches below, reducing the momentum, as Jackie Chan might drop from a building landing through several awnings, umbrella sales booths, or pallets of beach ball.

‘Schwaggy’ - Compromising more than 80% of any combination of the following- blackberry, multiflora rose, privet, English ivy, poison ivy, Bradford Pear.

‘Hamming down’ - Taking very large pieces.

‘Polishing the nub’ - Cutting a stub extremely flush with the trunk in a removal.

‘Daddy ain’t camera shy’ - Take a slow mo video of what I’m about to do and then text it to me.

Neill

Participating member
“Stave job”- not good pruning. A bunch of stubs and heading cuts.

“ did you see that topped tree back there?!”
“ yep, total stave job”

flushcut

Branched out member
"shoot the moon" is putting a $ number so high to insure that you will not get the job.
"murph that shit" is to flop a whole tree on a driveway or road.
"like it never happened" to do a clean up so immaculate that the job looks like you were never there.
"Disney Land" is a yard with targets EVERYWHERE.
"scare the shingles" is to rig down a limb that will just barely brush the roofline.

evo

Been here a while
“Eh? Ok?” That top might slap the gutter, but let’s give it a shot!

My favorite line to get a reaction from a client is “Wow, I’m glad that worked, haven’t done one that big before”

“Haggard the horrible Friday”. Old American Norwegian pride boss would schedule the biggest hardest jobs (to make sure he had payroll and bills covered) on Friday. His last name isn’t far off from rhyming with the cartoon…

Last edited:

oceans

Been here a while
Pierce Brosnan: When you buzz off a limb from high enough that it sails down and lands butt first, stabbing its way into the ground and stays there. This can also be called “planting”.

Then there are the two that came from @SoftBankHawks . They are:

The Seiji Han: Butt hitching an entire crown (without lowering any of the pieces), and then felling the whole sh’bang.

The Bill Withers: The man who wrote the song ‘Lean on Me’. A technique for returning from a limb walk on a stationary system in which the climber leans into the direction of motion, rather than away from it.

Jonny

Been here a while
Pierce Brosnan: When you buzz off a limb from high enough that it sails down and lands butt first, stabbing its way into the ground and stays there. This can also be called “planting”.
What’s it called when you do it with poles? My hollow fiberglass poles are slowly getting a dirt core. Should probably take a garden hose to them before they’re too heavy.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom