Application frequency of onyx for elm bark beetle

Has anyone seen research on the length of time that onyx will remain effective for the prevention of elm bark beetle damage. I have a client with six, 80 plus year old American Elms and I would like to limit the amount of pesticide that we apply. We are able to apply arbortech and we currently use merit on an annual basis along with protective sprays of onyx. I have read research stating that onyx can be applied in November to combat the first generation of bark beetle emerging in spring, but what about the second generation that can spread DED by chewing on the twigs? Should onyx be applied twice per year? All the research I have read is inconclusive.

Matt, I think you'll already have this but its all I have on the topic sorry.
Its from Forest Entomology (2006) and is as you suspected not conclusive however what evidence they were able to collect points to individual tree protection in the short term, with the need for repeated annual applications.

TCI mag for Sept 06 has a very short section on Onyx pg42 which you might want to chase up. Hope some of this is helpful in some way.

Attachments

• 80143-JEE%20Insecticide%20Pub.pdf
    104.1 KB · Views: 140
Re: Application frequency of onyx for elm bark bee

I read a research project somewhere a few years ago about spraying insecticide in the branches to protect from DED from the Elm Bark Beetle. It said that even using a bucket truck and thoroughly covering the tree, that only 50% coverage could gotten on the small twigs and branches. Most people have reduced the amount of this type of spraying or eliminated it from their programs.

This was the only method of DED control before 1980.

If you use Arbotect and do a good job, you will have better than 99% protection for 3 years. Just make sure that the tree is not diseased when treated and that root grafts to other trees that could become diseased are cut. It does not work at all if either of these 2 scenerios occurs. (Diseaed alrady or root grafts)

Probably similar to the questions presented here in TX on live oaks w/ wilt - from when initial infection occurs until the development of symptoms - or adaquate movement in tree to tissue samples that can produce a positive, is a matter of concern.

We've had false-positives and negatives, only to realize that methods of, or samples collected don't always implicate.

Probably similar to the questions presented here in TX on live oaks w/ wilt - from when initial infection occurs until the development of symptoms - or adaquate movement in tree to tissue samples that can produce a positive, is a matter of concern.

We've had false-positives and negatives, only to realize that methods of, or samples collected don't always implicate. As you say, the older methods...I'm greatful they aren't in use anymore.

Rather than insecticides or contact poisons, there are a variety of deterrents screaming for study.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom