Anyone seen the “ropinator”

craneguy1

I use an oxy torch to melt the ends...i still am going to buy a ropinator...ive tried everything i could think of over the years to try and keep the dead end nice, straight, and out of the way with no lasting results. I do wonder if the designer received the green light to attach the dead end to the live end from equipment manufacturers. Its always been a no no, but appears the ropinator would "float" upwards if it somehow got snagged.

craneguy1

if i may add, i don't think it's so much about keep the end from fraying as it is keepong it aligned...my old crane specified 6 inch minimum for the dead end length, years back it got increased to like 11...that's alot of extra crap to snag on once its not perfectly in line to the live end going threw branches. I think it's an awesome idea. Just ordered one.

Treeline

I use an oxy torch to melt the ends...i still am going to buy a ropinator...ive tried everything i could think of over the years to try and keep the dead end nice, straight, and out of the way with no lasting results. I do wonder if the designer received the green light to attach the dead end to the live end from equipment manufacturers. Its always been a no no, but appears the ropinator would "float" upwards if it somehow got snagged.
It looks like it only clips on with enough force to hold itself on the cable. I don’t think it is strong enough to create any issues as far as live and dead end connection goes. Like you said in a snag I’m sure it would slide up or pop off. I just ordered one myself so I guess we can report back here when they come in!

Treeline

Got mine today, with a cool key chain amd some stickers...almost like the old treestuff...planning on mounting it tomorrow
Me too. The keychain and stickers were definitely a nice touch. I did feel like it’s a little cheap feeling for 65 dollars. But it looks 3D printed maybe so I’m sure there’s a good bit of time involved in making it.

craneguy1

Well its on. 3d printing would make sense! I wondered why it was so rough in spots for injection molding. It's on now, start the trial. I definitely had, and still do after looking up seizing that regulations have not yet given the go ahead on this device. One of the papers that came with it was a direct copy from a website...undoubtedly used without their permission. It's soft and flexible, weighs nothing, won't hurt a squirrel if it did come off. I just hate how dead end tails knab branches, then bend, then make stowing a pita sometimes with the newer national atb weight.

Attachments

• 20201114_145133.jpg
    20201114_145133.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

craneguy1

I wanted the red 9/16 to match the hook...why is yellow 30 bucks and red 40? I offered him 30 and he took the offer within 2 hours, on a Saturday. Including wire for seizing is also a nice touch, if turns out to be the the right size for the size people order...that gets a bit more involved than people think. Time will tell. Hopefully it's not a great idea with piss poor follow through.

Edit...sent an email to get a few answers, will report.

Last edited:

Reach

That is definitely 3D printed, I can see it in the picture. I can understand making an initial run that way, the per-unit cost is high, but not near the $5k+ cost to have a mold made.

I will be curious to hear how it holds up, and whether or not it stays on after it’s been dragged through a couple tree tops.

craneguy1

Yes, they are 3d printed...first idea was to make them using molds and urethane but proved to be too time consuming and required a set screw.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom