Anyone had success growing from cuttings?

Jonny

Been here a while
My big question I guess is what’s a good media to start them in. I was going to start with small amount of soil. I want to get some cuttings from an apple tree at my dad’s place and get the growing at my place and two of my brothers’ places. Got some Hormex no. 1 root hormone powder, guess that is suggested type, and apple should be pretty easy to root, or so I’ve read.

I won’t be heartbroken if the whole project flips, but looks fun, and I want the fruit eventually.

Neill

Participating member
I did some apple grafting a good while ago, and have done cuttings from various trees and shrubs with different levels of success. Moderating humidity and moisture is key. regular potting soil can be ok but you might be careful to not use too big a pot and avoid overwatering because the peat in those mediums can stay too wet for a long time. The best propagation method I have had success with is layering. Probably not an ideal method for apple trees though- that just used the native soil and mulch/ leaves!

I worked at a farm and nursery years back where we did fruit tree grafts.
We would take clippings and soak in this concentrate as we collected them.
We had roots rather quickly, some within a day after potting (small clippings) and watering with the concentrate as well.
You can usually find the small bottles at Lowe’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evo

Been here a while
Fine ground coconut choir and sand 50/50 works great as a medium. A good proper cold frame, and religious watering with ample drainage. High humidity with good airflow.

SeanRuel

Branched out member
A graft is probably the better way to clone apples specifically. For rooting cuttings, straight sand in a mini greenhouse works well. 2 liter bottle cut in half, then sand and cuttings in bottom, and slot the top half back on. Poke a few holes in the top for air, but not too many.

Leave only a few leaves, and the sand should be moist not wet. Vermiculite at field capacity works too.

Bottom heat from a seedling mat can help with rooting some species, can't remember for apple

Jonny

Been here a while
Thanks for all the input, you guys are great.

Might try a couple methods. I got potting soil and sand already. Might as well put em to use.
I remember doing the little 2 liter bottle greenhouses in scouts, excellent idea for early on.

evo

Been here a while
A graft is probably the better way to clone apples specifically. For rooting cuttings, straight sand in a mini greenhouse works well. 2 liter bottle cut in half, then sand and cuttings in bottom, and slot the top half back on. Poke a few holes in the top for air, but not too many.

Leave only a few leaves, and the sand should be moist not wet. Vermiculite at field capacity works too.

Bottom heat from a seedling mat can help with rooting some species, can't remember for apple
I’ve done it in an aquarium with a few inches of fish gravel, an aquarium heater, media, and fill with water to the top of the gravel. I bred dart frogs in the same setup but I added a submersible pump into a little waterfall.
high humidity, proper temps and good airflow are hard to get

Frankie 1

1) Rock wool cubes that have been soaked for a few days in water to “season” them ... 2) a cloning tray with plastic cover to keep humidity high ... 3) willow water (made from willow tree branches or twigs) or commercially available rooting hormone. Temp and humidity are critical here when trying to get roots off cuttings ... This is a proven method that imho works the best ... good luck !

Jzack605

Branched out member
I’ve had mixed success with cuttings. But my experimenting has been casual.

air layering is another one to consider. You can propagate a bigger part of the tree if wanted. I have one going on a Carpinus to turn into a bonsai that had a not so great Lower section. Seems to be taking and will get two trees out of it. Images are from bud break. Tree is fully leafed out now above the layer and suckering below it.

D0B608C5-A129-4886-8724-D7CEA78BD4E4.jpeg 91F3B4B7-828A-4483-B937-AE1AB6ED8FE3.jpeg C5CD683B-516B-4256-8DF0-458B13B1A178.jpeg

Treezybreez

Carpal tunnel level member
I worked for a botanist who had quite a green house and he taught me a lot about rooting cuttings. Hardwood cuttings are best taken in When the tree is dormant and make sure to use juvenile growth. Keep misted frequently and a heating pad underneath helps.

Jonny

Been here a while
Thanks, I was wondering if winter would be a better time.

Cut angle make much difference? I was thinking just a straight across cut with my bypass hand pruners.

Jzack605

Branched out member
I believe cuttings from new growth, such as Ginko you describe, is referred to as softwood cuttings. Which is separate from what @Treezybreez is describing which uses hardened off, woodier stems.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom