Antzy to progress.

Green Man

I’m about 230 lbs, have some brand new Poison Ivy 11.7 mm rope, and I’ve been Blake hitching with the double rope technique up and down and all around these huge mulberry trees in my backyard. It’s Disneyland to me. Anyway with this rope I’ve got and my weight (I’m tall not fat) what size rope should I use for my friction hitch when I play around with SRT or does it matter that much since I’ll be using a rope wrench and hitch climber pulley? Also, where is a good site to go with repelling tips using that same setup. For DRT I’m wanting to just bite the bullet and get a ZigZag Plus for that reason alone. Because of my green horn reppelling skills I haven’t been able to work the tops of my trees and renting a boom lift at this point would be lame.

Jonny

Welcome man!

Poison Ivy is a good SRT rope too.

Good hitch cord for it is probably gonna be 8mm. I like BeeLine, HRC, and UltraTech. I haven’t tried Ocean poly before, but I see tons of folks using it with a wrench setup.

Be careful out there, low and slow

Crimsonking

My preference is larger hitch cords for my weight- 200-210 w/ gear. 10mm Yale veritas is great. Blue beeline (9mm) is amazing, and lasts.

The 8mm hitch cords I’ve used bind up on me no matter the hitch I use.

Green Man

Nice! Thank u. Sounds like I’ll do a little experimenting with 9mm & 10mm first with a preference towards BeeLine. This 100 sterling flex has piqued my interest.

Crimsonking

I never knew there was a 9mm BeeLine, think I’ll shop for a piece right now :)
Since you mentioned it, I went looking and found I was mistaken. Yale only lists two diameters for beeline. I’m not sure where I picked up the idea that it’s 9mm.

Still a favorite, and worth every penny.

Cereal_Killer

I'm 208, so about 225 climbing weight. I climb SRT and MRT on poison ivy. SRT on a HH2 I run 9.3 epicord, for everything else I'm running 8mm HRC.
I've tried them all, these are the two best setups for my weight on poison ivy. The only one I really don't like is 8mm Oceans Poly, takes to long to break in, not worth the hassle when HRC runs perfect first climb.

Crimsonking

The epicord is around 9mm. Better than beeline.
What about it do you prefer? I’ve used that cord quite a bit and like it, but between them my preference is beeline blue because it is firmer, which gives me more consistent performance with less binding.

Gorman

What about it do you prefer? I’ve used that cord quite a bit and like it, but between them my preference is beeline blue because it is firmer, which gives me more consistent performance with less binding.

I like epicord much more for a primary hitch cause it binds up less. I still use beeline for my lanyard.

Crimsonking

It still amazes me how different any two people’s experience can be with a piece of gear. Yet I still catch myself getting so adamant about my experience.

Green Man

I'm 208, so about 225 climbing weight. I climb SRT and MRT on poison ivy. SRT on a HH2 I run 9.3 epicord, for everything else I'm running 8mm HRC.
I've tried them all, these are the two best setups for my weight on poison ivy. The only one I really don't like is 8mm Oceans Poly, takes to long to break in, not worth the hassle when HRC runs perfect first climb.
The HH2 instead of a rope wrench right? Could u tell me what u like better about it? Through your trials and errors was it always 8mm cords that u came back to and was it because it catches and uncatches (don’t know what other word to use there) better, does it finesse better with reppelling, is it easier to minipulate? Why does HRC sound like a no brainer? Must be expensive? Sorry to bombard u with questions.

dsptech

ArmorPrus 10mm is my go to now.
8mm prusiks just bind up after after a few uses on my lanyard setup.
I've tried most others but once they get a little dirty with use I end up fighting with them to release.

Mowerr

The 10 mm versions of beeline are very thin when you compare them to other 10mm hitch cords. So I think many people, Including myself believe the 10mm beelines are more like 9mm.
Weve had these discussions before about how manufacturers label their lengths and diameters of their ropes and hitch cords

oldoakman

How do I do that?
I changed "100" in the original post to "10mm" which is what it should be.

If you are asking about my "Some people... " quote, no, no double meaning. Just that some people have no idea of how and what to prune nor the biology that drives proper pruning decisions.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom