An interesting little guy I don't recognize.

Jonny

Been here a while
I suck at this game, but maybe American Elm?

You gonna be able to get leaf pics in a month or two?

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I just saw some of these same little guys here in Detroit yesterday. Black Locust maybe? That was my best guess based on the other mature trees around them.

dmonn

Participating member
Thanks. Probably too little to produce nuts.

The buds seem to spiral around the branches. Is that different than alternate branching?

evo

Been here a while
Thanks. Probably too little to produce nuts.

The buds seem to spiral around the branches. Is that different than alternate branching?
All plant buds spiral around the twigs. This give them the optimal arrangement for photosynthesis. Even maples do it, but in opposite pairs on opposing sides.
The amount of buds it to take a complete 360 spiral is expressed as a ratio and comes into play with plant id as it’s genus specific in many cases.

adolan

Upon further inspection I would put money on juglans nigra. From my experience immature butternut do not have that peeling bark whereas the immature black walnuts do. Also twig colouration looks more black walnut that butternut to me? This is based upon my observations in southern Ontario- not sure where the OP is from?

Reactions: ATH

dmonn

Participating member
I'm from SE Wisconsin. Enough Julans nigra around here to make that more likely of the two, though they both occur here.

evo

Been here a while
Around here some wingnut colonist settler brought over some weird ass juglans. I’ve given up on trying to ID them as just refer to them as the above. It’s very possible they are a undescribed hybrid. It’s also worth while to look at “paradox walnuts”

Reactions: ATH

ATH

Been here a while
Around here some wingnut colonist settler brought over some weird ass juglans. I’ve given up on trying to ID them as just refer to them as the above. It’s very possible they are a undescribed hybrid. It’s also worth while to look at “paradox walnuts”
I had a friend whose father cross-pollinated Heartnut (a Japanese walnut) and Butternut. He made a display board with different nuts on it. On the far right was a pure Butternut. On the left was a pure Heartnut. There were, I think at least 7-8 total with decreasing purity of each working in toward the middle with a 50/50 hybrid. I never saw the trees as they were gone by then...but I cannot imagining trying to figure out one of those without some background information to go with it!

ATH

Been here a while
Upon further inspection I would put money on juglans nigra. From my experience immature butternut do not have that peeling bark whereas the immature black walnuts do. Also twig colouration looks more black walnut that butternut to me? This is based upon my observations in southern Ontario- not sure where the OP is from?
I don't disagree with any of that... "generally" the curves of a butternut's leaf scar "flow" a little while walnut has some deeper angles. Could be either.

evo

Been here a while
I had a friend whose father cross-pollinated Heartnut (a Japanese walnut) and Butternut. He made a display board with different nuts on it. On the far right was a pure Butternut. On the left was a pure Heartnut. There were, I think at least 7-8 total with decreasing purity of each working in toward the middle with a 50/50 hybrid. I never saw the trees as they were gone by then...but I cannot imagining trying to figure out one of those without some background information to go with it!
yup, that's pretty much the boat I'm in... wood like a butternut, pith like a black walnut, leaf kinda between but more like a bigger black walnut shade leaf, nut well super variable on the same branch even down to the shriveled flower an no two alike!

evo

Been here a while

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom