Amateur Questions about Chainsaw Cylinder replacement

PastorSlaughter

First of all, Thank you all so much for posting all this awesome information! I've been turning here for some time, learning how to climb trees (I trim my own a little, but really I climb trees mostly for deer hunting and recreation)

Anyway, I'm attempting my first chainsaw rebuild. Not a full rebuild, just trying to get an old saw (Husqvarna 357XP) running. Three basic questions:
1. Before installing the new cylinder and piston, should I wash them in soap & water? Rub them down with a scotch brite pad?
2. Should I put a new gasket under the cylinder? Or use Ultra Gray or something else? Or simply reuse the old gasket?
3. There was a red ring in the original intake assembly somewhere. It fell out during disassembly. But a replacement was not included with the new parts I ordered. I'm not sure where exactly the ring went and I'm wondering if it is really necessary. But, I know air leaks make saws run too lean and burn up. So I don't want to start the saw if this ring is supposed to function like a gasket somewhere between the carb and the cylinder.
Thanks in advance! IMG-1123.jpg

Reach

Welcome! A couple answers for you:

1. If you have a good quality cylinder, no need to wash it or sand it with Scotch Brite. Just put it together, with a little assembly oil if necessary to make it go.

2. You need to use the proper gasket when you put the cylinder on, buy a new one, don’t try to reuse the old one or it will probably leak. Silicone gasket makers have their uses, but this is not one, unless the manufacturer says otherwise. I would expect that it will not handle the heat on the cylinder though.

3. I do not know where the red ring came from, I do not work on Husky saws.

Kofi

The sealingrings 13 +35 are in general places where a saw easely gets false air so consider replacing them also.

Rob Stafari

@PastorSlaughter Went ahead and PM'd you the 357xp/359 workshop manual in case you didn't have it. There are some hillbilly workarounds for some of the factory tools like seal installers and such. I hope you are using an OEM parts, but if using aftermarket you definitely want to make sure they are clean. Quality control isn't the aftermarket parts suppliers strong point. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask. I'm in Loveland, so if you really get into a bind I may be able to help.

Cheers.

PastorSlaughter

Wow! Thanks Rob! I'm between church services right now and I took a quick glance through the manual. It's fantastic! I'm not a profession chainsaw guy, so I'm just buying cheap parts off eBay. This saw was given to me as a throw away. But I think I'll have it running in a couple weeks. I cut firewood and I'm on a disaster relief chainsaw team (but they have their own saws). I'm finding that I really like working on this thing! Thanks again!

PastorSlaughter

I'm replacing the carb and my new one is set up for a fuel line to a primer bulb. My saw doesn't have a primer bulb. I'm pretty sure I can just cap this off. But I'm not sure how to cap it. Please share some wisdom with me.

chipper1

I capped that line with JB Weld.
Cylinder compression is 115 psi.
Hope it comes up, thats pretty low.
As Rob was saying you really have to know what you're buying when it comes to aftermarket parts as they are not all great quality and many are much less than good quality. When I use aftermarket parts I prefer meteor or any of the Italian made kits as they are usually all made in the same plants.
Make sure part #15 in the picture above is as shown in the picture, a metal clamp. Husky used plastic clamps on the intakes and they can loose up when they get hot and will can cause an air leak. What typically causes them to get hot and leak is running the saw with a dull chain, even if you have the metal clamp, don't run with a dull chain as its bad for the saw in many ways and it isn't safe.
Hope you had a great service today, Sabbath Monday :)?

PastorSlaughter

Thanks Chipper! We did have 2 great services. We celebrated Communion for the first time since Covid hit. I was surprised during my sermon when a tooth crown came off mid-sentence... At least I didn't swallow it.
I prefer to take Friday off for Sabbath.
Yes, I have a metal clamp. (#15)
I've run the saw a few hours since I checked compression. I'll check it again when I can. If it doesn't come up, what does that mean for me? Lower power than it should have I'm sure. Anything else? I adjusted the carb and got it to idle and accelerate fairly well, but it won't reach the high rpm spec.
I didn't pay much for the piston & cylinder that's on it now and I'm considering buying a meteor. On the other hand, it already runs better than my previous saw.
Thanks for the tip about not running a dull chain. I sharpen my own chains using a Stihl tool, but never realized how important it is.
Thank you sir!

chipper1

Thanks Chipper! We did have 2 great services. We celebrated Communion for the first time since Covid hit. I was surprised during my sermon when a tooth crown came off mid-sentence... At least I didn't swallow it.
I prefer to take Friday off for Sabbath.
Yes, I have a metal clamp. (#15)
I've run the saw a few hours since I checked compression. I'll check it again when I can. If it doesn't come up, what does that mean for me? Lower power than it should have I'm sure. Anything else? I adjusted the carb and got it to idle and accelerate fairly well, but it won't reach the high rpm spec.
I didn't pay much for the piston & cylinder that's on it now and I'm considering buying a meteor. On the other hand, it already runs better than my previous saw.
Thanks for the tip about not running a dull chain. I sharpen my own chains using a Stihl tool, but never realized how important it is.
Thank you sir!
Well I'm glad your getting to enjoy the truths, as they are laid out clearly for us; (depending on the translation) do not stop meeting together..., also acts 2:42-47. If we are not devoting(loyal to, making them a top priority) ourselves to these things it will limit the renewing of our faith and our numbers in the future. Yes I'll preach to the choir, and even to the preacher :D.
Hope you can get in to get that tooth fixed, I'd like to hear that portion of your sermon, did you go into Ecclesiastes "when the grinders cease because they are few" lol. I was just in for some work myself, the covid police were certainly on high guard with the questioning.
Friday works too, those who serve need it, just as Jesus to time for himself.
If the compression doesn't come up it probably won't as many times the specs are way off on those aftermarket parts, that is most likely why it won't reach max rpm too. You will be amazed at the difference if you put a meteor or an oem kit on there. For what you have into it putting a brand new oem kit on it is what I would advise, it should be comparable to a meteor in cost, and it will be all original which is what I prefer especially when selling them.
You could do a base gasket delete using that cylinder which should raise the compression about 10psi. Might as well since you enjoyed working on it, just search "husqvarna 357 mods forum" and also husqvarna base gasket delete" lots of information out there. It's basically using a sealant instead of a base gasket to seal the cylinder to the chassis, which will lower the cylinder slightly and increase the compression. The lower end aftermarket cylinder kits are known for having too much squish, a term you will learn in your searching, and also something to check before tearing down the saw from it's current configuration.

chipper1

LOL, no, I wasn't that quick! That's pretty good.
And I appreciate all the other wisdom you shared with me. I look forward to following through on those ideas.
I use that section of Ecclesiastes all the time as a conversation starter, "wow, youre afraid of heights now that your older, did you know the Bible talks about that", or when people cant hear me, or the eyes, fun stuff and sometimes the conversation yields instant fruit, but it always yields Isaiah 55:11.
I swapped out a cylinder on a saw tonight myself, pretty happy with it, hope to run it tomorrow.
The saw was a ported jonsered 2171 I wanted the cylinder off of to put on my husky 372xpg(heated handle). I put a new oem cylinder on it and a meteor 268xp piston that had a popup turned into the top.
The compression is before breaking it in so it should go up a little from here, I could have used a little thinner base gasket too.

Attachments

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom