Allison RDS Transmission

Mitch Hoy

Hey Buzzers. We bought a BC1800XL a month and a half ago, and it's time for a bigger truck.
There are a lot of nice (looking) used medium duty trucks online right now with 14-16' boxes that are in our price range. The hang-up I am having before discussing with a dealer is that most of these trucks have an Allison 2200 RDS transmission, which is only rated for 26,000# GVW and GCW (according to Allison). A lot of these trucks must have been box trucks/moving trucks.
Does anyone have any experience with this transmission? In use, a truck with this size of box is going to already be over those ratings depending on tree species, before you attach a 9,600# chipper.
My gut is skeptical of the mechanics here. Just looking to see if there are people that have experience regularly running this transmission over rating without issues. There are quite a number of this class of truck with really nice packages on the market, $30-40K less than new, running the 2200RDS.
I am trying to stay under CDL and with an A/T. Considering a class B truck, but then I'd be driving it all the time.

Reach

I do not know that particular transmission, but I know that Allisons in general are a bit particular. Allison sets ratings and service intervals, and expects them to be followed. If they are, the transmissions seem to be problem free. If not, they become expensive rather quickly.

Keep in mind the history of Allison. They spent many years building high performance aircraft engines. Aircraft regard service intervals as law, and Allison seems to assume that their transmissions will be maintained the same way.

Evan_WI

I've noticed this as well in the used chip-truck market. I would stick to the recommendations Allison gives. Like you said, there is a big difference between 26k lbs, and 36k+ lbs. Also, those trucks are generally going to have low horsepower (200-220). You might need to find your own cab/chassis with the right specs and add a chip box.

Gorman

I towed a 8k chipper and a 14’ box with a 2200rds for years. No problems. I changed the trans oil at 40k miles and it looked fine. No metal in the filter magnet.

Mitch Hoy

Thanks for the replies here!

I also talked to some Transmission guys who said it would probably be ok if the truck wasn't pushed for acceleration while loaded. In the end, we are opting for the class B truck. Can't keep everything under CDL in this business forever.

Luzl78

Thanks for the replies here!

I also talked to some Transmission guys who said it would probably be ok if the truck wasn't pushed for acceleration while loaded. In the end, we are opting for the class B truck. Can't keep everything under CDL in this business forever.
Always over build your trucks if you can financially do it. You want your trucks to be over powered, over Springed so the drivetrain doesn’t have to work so hard. That’s why tree work is being so mechanized with small loaders and backyard lifts. No one wants to drag brush and there are no more climbers so bring out the 35” backyard lifts.

Mitch Hoy

We found a 2014 Freightliner with lower miles and an Allison 3000 that is having a new 27yd Arbortech box installed on it. 33k gvwr, plenty of truck. Should last us a good, long time. Will miss the 4x4 on the f550 during the winter some, but looking forward to over twice the capacity.

Reach

We found a 2014 Freightliner with lower miles and an Allison 3000 that is having a new 27yd Arbortech box installed on it. 33k gvwr, plenty of truck. Should last us a good, long time. Will miss the 4x4 on the f550 during the winter some, but looking forward to over twice the capacity.
That sounds nice! I’m almost jealous, but we are in the process of building a new Ram 5500 with a custom aluminum bed to replace an old F550, so I too am rather excited. Looking forward to pictures of your new truck when it’s all done!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom