Akimbo, Bulldog or Rope Runner

Windwalker

I've been climbing for three years now on a HH2. Climb almost 100% SRT. Almost bought a RR a year or so ago, but seemed kinda tricky to attach midline with small parts that could be dropped. Then I heard buzz that a new and improved version was coming out. Well its still not here. I'm tired of waiting.

This is my first post so forgive me for not reading through the 100's of posts on the Bulldog and Akimbo. I did read through the last couple of pages, kinda daunting trying to get anywhere.

I was climbing on Tachyon and now am using the Notch Dragon. The Tachyon works better in the HH2, but I like the lower stretch of the Dragon. Wanting to get a new mechanical device, but not wanting to get a new rope.

So, get an current version RR, Akimbo or Bulldog? If Bulldog, which one?

What's the process of sourcing the Akimbo or Bulldog?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Z'sTrees

Not having used an akimbo here's my take on the runner and the bone.
The runner is amazingly smooth tending slack and descending. It seems to run really well on a variety of ropes but will flatten certain ones out. It's not a tool that is particularly easy to take off a rope aloft but it can be done without dropping anything.

The bone is more compact, goes on and off the rope super quick and easy without ever coming off your bridge and feels a bit more solid and durable. It needs a rope with a smooth jacket to really shine. My fuzzed up yale 11.7 was never all that smooth in it, a new hank was better, but the kmiii max is amazing in it. I'm using the adjustable model fwiw.
I wish I hadn't sold my hh2, it's the perfect tool to complement a mechanical for spar work or rain days.

Merle Nelson

Akimbo is not available for production sale yet. I have one that someone was letting go of and love it. I have Bulldog Bones and love them. Both great for midline attachment.

I had a RopeRunner after doing an initial SRT training class but was spooked by the possibility of dropping parts etc and never even tried it.

Raven

Welcome aboard Windwalker!

To answer your question without rehashing the entire 10+ year conversation on why SRT and what device is best for what situation I'll simply say one word: AKIMBO. The process for getting one? Wait patiently and don't hold your breathe, enjoy that amazing HH2 as long as you have to - it's also a great tool except for the messy part of having to re- dress and re-set the hitch or just give up and leave it on the rope permanently.

I've had the great fortune to be able to try them all and Akimbo is my fav for several reasons but I currently rock the Rope Wrench with a Martin hitch above a HitchClimber pulley, on Samson Vortex 12.5 mm. This has most of the best characteristics I personally desire in a multicender.

Anyway Akimbo coming from Rock Exotica sometime this century. For the Bulldog I'd find a user here named 'surveyor'. And don't be afraid to get a new rope, you'll have to one day anyway - happy climbing!

Tr33Climb3r

I've tried all of them. Let me put them in order of my preference.
1) Roperunner
2) rope wrench
3) bulldog bone
4) aKimbo
5) hitch hiker

Mechanical Devices with two friction points Imo are not as smooth. I wouldn't consider the pieces of the Roperunner a deal breaker. Honestly the fact that there are pieces make components easily replaceable. All the times I have taken it apart in a tree with us less than 5% of the climbs I haven't been concerned about dropping something.
I have a few simple ideas on how the Roperunner can be improved. But making it have not have pieces isn't at the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windwalker

Welcome aboard Windwalker!

To answer your question without rehashing the entire 10+ year conversation on why SRT and what device is best for what situation I'll simply say one word: AKIMBO. The process for getting one? Wait patiently and don't hold your breathe, enjoy that amazing HH2 as long as you have to - it's also a great tool except for the messy part of having to re- dress and re-set the hitch or just give up and leave it on the rope permanently.

I've had the great fortune to be able to try them all and Akimbo is my fav for several reasons but I currently rock the Rope Wrench with a Martin hitch above a HitchClimber pulley, on Samson Vortex 12.5 mm. This has most of the best characteristics I personally desire in a multicender.

Anyway Akimbo coming from Rock Exotica sometime this century. For the Bulldog I'd find a user here named 'surveyor'. And don't be afraid to get a new rope, you'll have to one day anyway - happy climbing!

Yeah I'm the lazy guy that keeps the HH2 on the rope all the time. Every now and then I have to adjust the hitch cord and I replace it once a year. I have 3 years with the HH2 and really cant complain. I guess a lot of it is just my nature to try and improve things, even if they aint broke, LOL. And like most, I like to mess with new gear. I would probably leave the RR on the rope as well as I've gotten so used to clip in and go with the HH2.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

flyingsquirrel25

I’ve used most of the mechanicals and find the BDB my go to this “week”. I was very happy with the akimbo I borrowed from frank, but it got finicky when the weather wasn’t perfect or when I changed ropes. It seemed like there was too much adjustment and I just couldn’t get the adjustments back right again. My rope runner is a distant third due to its parts (I do take my climbing device off the rope during about half my climbs). I will warn the RR new can be frustrating, I almost gave mine away until it got worn in and then it ran good. But it was sketchy and was seldom climbed on due to my frustration. Once worn in I loved it until frank was so generous.
Welcome!!

colb

I'm on 2 RWs, awaiting the Akimbo release. Haven't tried anything else, so I'm kind of a popcorn-eating, cherry-pickin' backseat-drivin' couch potato. BDB is not certified, so it's a rec device, or pro "hold-my-beer-while-I-hide-it-from-OSHA" device. I would love to own a BDB, just to be clear. If you need one now, look into the RR, including its exact certification status. If you need to crane climb now, maybe look into the BDB. In your position, I would wait for the Akimbo. I've heard great things about the HH2.

fireman33

Yeah I'm the lazy guy that keeps the HH2 on the rope all the time. Every now and then I have to adjust the hitch cord and I replace it once a year. I have 3 years with the HH2 and really cant complain. I guess a lot of it is just my nature to try and improve things, even if they aint broke, LOL. And like most, I like to mess with new gear. I would probably leave the RR on the rope as well as I've gotten so used to clip in and go with the HH2.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I’ve also been using the hitchhiker 2 for 2 years now and it’s an awesome piece of gear. I did however just recently bought a roperunner and I tell ya it’s some smooth. It tends effortlessly and ropewalking you don’t even feel it’s there.

Also if I were you I would change my friction hitch more than once a year...it sees a lot of abuse and for the price of a new hitch cord it’s definitely worth your life.

Windwalker

I’ve also been using the hitchhiker 2 for 2 years now and it’s an awesome piece of gear. I did however just recently bought a roperunner and I tell ya it’s some smooth. It tends effortlessly and ropewalking you don’t even feel it’s there.

Also if I were you I would change my friction hitch more than once a year...it sees a lot of abuse and for the price of a new hitch cord it’s definitely worth your life.

What rope you running? Sounds like you like it better than the HH2?

I'm just a small outfit and I'm not climbing day in and day out. I inspect my gear religiously and don't hesitate replacing gear that even looks slightly off kilter. But that's definitely good advice.

fireman33

What rope you running? Sounds like you like it better than the HH2?

I'm just a small outfit and I'm not climbing day in and day out. I inspect my gear religiously and don't hesitate replacing gear that even looks slightly off kilter. But that's definitely good advice.

I just tried the New England km3 11mm static with the rope runner and it works very good. Didn’t work so good with the hh2. I use the Samson voyager 11.8 with the hh2 with 8mm beeline and have had good luck

colb

Monday is Unicender day
Tuesday is Bulldog Bone day
Wednesday is ZigZag day
Thursday is Rope Runner day
Friday is Akimbo day
No day is ever hitch cord day

:lol: :birra:

#headache #2018

I didn't actually realize there were that many mechanical out there...

FreeFallin

Since I only have experience on an Akimbo and CBDB I will stick to those for comparison.

Both excellent, well made, rock solid devices, I don't feel like I'm taking any extra chances because they are not rated.

Both function similar but they are a different feel when you climb on them. For me the BdB is a little grippier, it stops faster but also has a little more drag on some 11.7 ropes going up.
Akimbo flows a little more, it's more of a glide stop (doesn't bother me, might freak some people I out) and it is wide open on accent so no drag.
The fact that the Akimbo design has changed slightly for the production release also makes it a wildcard.
Both are not as solid on wet rope, but the Bulldog seems to have the advantage there.
Both are a little picky about which ropes as mechanicals tend to be.
I really love them both and you can't lose with either, so here are some hard facts to consider-

Akimbo will be on shelves in 4-5 months. Probably. And the price point will likely be near $400US. Probably.

The CBDB is out now and is near $300US.

monkeylove

In all seriousness, it is really a crap shoot and personal preference. All the devices have pro's and con's, and they all get weird on occasion. The exact reason Mert gave for switching from the Akimbo to the Bone is exactly why I switched from the Bone to the Akimbo on certain days or jobs. All the devices listed are great devices, some with certs, some without, maybe??? A couple that can be used in comps maybe, not really sure on that rule.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom