Accident report on Facebook

I found this on Facebook and it’s got me shook.
The following text and pictures are all taken from the recent post by Aaron Lawson of Veneta Oregon. Heal quick.

“Hip, pelvis, cracks/broken. Bruised lung, broken rib, dislocated maybe worse shoulder “still don’t know details till tomorrow/next day” And a couple fingers jammed/maybe small break. No worse than catchin a guys tooth on your swing for a comparison to pain and a good cut along my forehead. Only needed a few stitches

I fell straight down. No limbs to bounce off of . Fall was roughly 60’

Rope bridge broke. Was not cut nor cutting. Had all saws off and were hung on my belt or put away.

Not an “impact” type of fall. More a constant weight when I stepped off. I would say a “tight swing” back to the trunk. When I stepped off I heard a pop.

As I was falling I managed to rotate from my back while holding my hard hat,saws tight to my body, and hit the ground with my left side. I tried to get up to catch my breath for obvious reasons but never knocked me out. Some say I’m lucky, some lucky to be walking a week after with a limp, and some say I’m lucky to be alive.

Either way I’m just thank full for my brother Eli. He handled me after the fall and while the ambulance was on the way than stayed with me through everything at the hospital. “Thank you brotha” is all I can keep telling myself.

My boss mike was amazing in helping before and even currently today still got my back. He did everything right while doin his best to stay calm and keep his head straight after watching me hit the ground from the top. I kept telling him while I’m laying down “I’m okay brother don’t worry bout me I’m not to bad, I’m okay, and still here so take a breath and relax”

Ambulance came and scooped me up. After wrapping a ghetto sling to hold my harm in place on the bumpy ride I was good .

Figured I’d help remind people check your gear before, during, and after your climb and be safe! Not all will be lucky enough to walk away the day after falling thank you to my girl matti for taking such good care of me and my family . And thank you to all my friends who have helped and checked along the way
NBL everyone

ddaf676144749c9f8111fad52bab6eeb.jpg

ec6f80e82470febc5c36f298a3938b13.jpg

75236995dacbb5eec1aa3abca1423586.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VenasNursery

Carpal tunnel level member
I found this on Facebook and it’s got me shook.
The following text and pictures are all taken from the recent post by Aaron Lawson of Veneta Oregon. Heal quick.

“Hip, pelvis, cracks/broken. Bruised lung, broken rib, dislocated maybe worse shoulder “still don’t know details till tomorrow/next day” And a couple fingers jammed/maybe small break. No worse than catchin a guys tooth on your swing for a comparison to pain and a good cut along my forehead. Only needed a few stitches

I fell straight down. No limbs to bounce off of . Fall was roughly 60’

Rope bridge broke. Was not cut nor cutting. Had all saws off and were hung on my belt or put away.

Not an “impact” type of fall. More a constant weight when I stepped off. I would say a “tight swing” back to the trunk. When I stepped off I heard a pop.

As I was falling I managed to rotate from my back while holding my hard hat,saws tight to my body, and hit the ground with my left side. I tried to get up to catch my breath for obvious reasons but never knocked me out. Some say I’m lucky, some lucky to be walking a week after with a limp, and some say I’m lucky to be alive.

Either way I’m just thank full for my brother Eli. He handled me after the fall and while the ambulance was on the way than stayed with me through everything at the hospital. “Thank you brotha” is all I can keep telling myself.

My boss mike was amazing in helping before and even currently today still got my back. He did everything right while doin his best to stay calm and keep his head straight after watching me hit the ground from the top. I kept telling him while I’m laying down “I’m okay brother don’t worry bout me I’m not to bad, I’m okay, and still here so take a breath and relax”

Ambulance came and scooped me up. After wrapping a ghetto sling to hold my harm in place on the bumpy ride I was good .

Figured I’d help remind people check your gear before, during, and after your climb and be safe! Not all will be lucky enough to walk away the day after falling thank you to my girl matti for taking such good care of me and my family . And thank you to all my friends who have helped and checked along the way
NBL everyone

ddaf676144749c9f8111fad52bab6eeb.jpg

ec6f80e82470febc5c36f298a3938b13.jpg

75236995dacbb5eec1aa3abca1423586.jpg

So sorry to hear
Sounds like you are lucky

Hope you have a speedy recovery Sir

Best wishes to all involved

Reach

Been here a while
Wow, that’s no good!

I believe I recognize that bridge though, it appears to be the spliced rope bridge on the Weaver Cougar that was recalled 8+ years ago for exactly that reason. I can’t guarantee it, because it’s been so long, but it looks familiar to me. Maybe someone here has a better memory?

Jonny

Been here a while
Wow, that’s no good!

I believe I recognize that bridge though, it appears to be the spliced rope bridge on the Weaver Cougar that was recalled 8+ years ago for exactly that reason. I can’t guarantee it, because it’s been so long, but it looks familiar to me. Maybe someone here has a better memory?
I was going to write the same thing. There was a recall on a Cougar bridge or two anyways.

Poor guy, hope he heals up fast. Sounds like he’s made of tough stuff.

Last edited:

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
it appears to be the spliced rope bridge on the Weaver Cougar that was recalled 8+ years ago
That kind of blows my mind that he might have been on that bridge for 8 years, I am on my factory MB rope bridge for about a year now and I've been wondering if I shouldn't be changing it out.

Chris Schultz

Participating member
I don't climb every day, so I tend to get a little more time out of things like that. But as you said, cheap insurance, I'll be getting a new bridge in my next order.
I don’t climb all day everyday either, but when you think about the loading on a bridge and what we ask of it, I think 6 months for most is reasonable….. my boss has a whole length of some new 16 strand that’ll probably never get climbed on, so whenever I feel it’s time I take a couple feet off it.

Reach

Been here a while
That kind of blows my mind that he might have been on that bridge for 8 years, I am on my factory MB rope bridge for about a year now and I've been wondering if I shouldn't be changing it out.
Try more like 11+ years, as the recalled bridges were made in 2010 and before… Thats a very long time to climb on any textile!

This was an awakening for me to read. I changed my bridge just now. It looks in good condition but I need to look at the time in service-not only the ropes appearance/feel.

LordFarkwad

Branched out member
Is it absolutely necessary that, leading up to this failure, the bridge had some sort of lumpiness to it, where the inner strands had begun successively failing? Or is it possible that this very old bridge did indeed go from ratty-looking to every single stand failing in a cascade, more or less immediately upon load application?

In the latter case, is this how aged textiles fail? Do they become this brittle?

Man, I wish we could have seen it just before that last use...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom